Chapter 34- Why?

"Okay, peanut. Make sure you hold on tight, it's very icy." You cautioned as you gripped his tiny hand in yours.

"Yes!"

As the two of you approached town, Teucer never let go of your hand once. Along the ways, he told you more about Ajax. My, how this little boy loved his brother so dearly.

"I heard something last night. Did you?" Teucer turned back towards you.

You tilted your head, "Hm? What noises?"

"They were by brothers room!" He exclaimed, paying no mind to your twisted facial expression.

Please tell me he didn't hear US!

"What did these noises sound like?" You nervously bit your lip, praying for an answer different than the true one.

"It sounded like a lot of banging! Like a fight was happening! And a lot of screaming. I guess brother screams like a girl in his sleep! And fights?"
He innocently giggled.

Oh my archon.
He heard us.
I thought he was asleep!

"Oh would you look at that! We arrived in town! Quick, where do you want to go?" You panicked, attempting to change the subject.

"The toy shop!!"
____________________________________
After a long day of being drug around by Teucer, the two of finally decided to head back home. The sun has set, leaving the two of you to the bitter cold and the lonely moon. It was a full moon, the stars shined brightly. You wished Childe was here to see them with you. Little did you know, he was gazing up at the same sky as you, wishing the same.

"It's beautiful, isn't it Teucer?" You said as you picked the little boy up in your arms.

His eyes sparkled, "My favorite constellation is out! Look! Look!" He pointed to the stars directly above you.

A whale.

Ajax's Constellation.

"That's brothers favorite also! Big whale!" He chuckled, admiring the glistening world above.

You joined Teucer in gazing at that constellation above, tracing the lines together.

"Yeah... It's my favorite as well."

A crisp breeze blew through the air, causing Teucer to shiver. You positioned in a more comfortable position, allowing him to rest his head on your shoulder.

"I'll keep you warm. Just rest for now." You directed, facing ahead.

He hummed as he obeyed your orders. You carried the bag full of toys on your other arm. It was getting hard to carry it now, but you didn't have much of a journey left.

With the snores of Teucer tickling your ear, the howling wind, and the crunching of the snow, nothing was out of the ordinary.

But yet, something told you to stop. You listened, refusing to move your head. You located the person to your right, hidden behind a trail of trees.

"Who sent you?" You barked, still mindful to not wake the young boy on your shoulder.

"Quit your hiding, and face me." You hissed.

A Fatui agent stepped out from behind the tree.
Hands positioned on his sword holsters, preparing for battle.

"You aren't very good at hiding yourself. State your business." You ordered, facing the possible enemy.

He refused to utter a word.

"Sworn to secrecy, eh? Well, I was once sworn to that as well. You can't keep a secret for long." You clicked your tongue, "You have five seconds."

Five

Four

Three

Two

One.

Nothing.

You sighed out in frustration. You dropped the bag of toys into the snow, allowing a free hand to drop to your side.

"Whether you've come for me or the boy, you won't be leaving with either of our heads." You spat, rage slowly filling voice.

You glared at the soldier, who has now drawn his swords.

Your (e/c) orbs darkened, "I see. How pathetic." You shook your head, unsatisfied.

You summoned your sword, gripping it tightly in one hand. Pouring electric energy into the blade.
You gave a smile, crouching into a fighting stance.

The soldier saw a spark in your eyes, not even blinking once, everything went black.

His head toppled off of his neck, his body crumbling to the ground.
You stood behind him, blood dripped from your sword.
Teucer remained peacefully asleep over your torso. You moved with a swift yet graceful motion, mercifully striking the enemy's head off  without waking the young boy.

"Let me introduce myself once more." You gave an unamused chuckle at the lifeless body, "Twelfth Harbinger, y/n. Code name, Ange." You twirled your sword, tossing it in the air.

The sword disappeared with a flick on your wrist.
You stepped onto the crimson red snow, allowing your boots to soak in your victory.
You had to admit, you were disappointed you couldn't take him out in a more brutal way, but you didn't want Teucer to witness that atrocity.

You pranced over to the bag of toys, picking them up once more. You sighed, stealing one more glance at the stars.

"Let's get you home, peanut." You whispered, stroking Teucer's back.

And once again, you resumed your hike back home.
___________________________________
After tucking Teucer in, you returned to Childe's room. You plopped yourself down onto his bed, letting out a deep exhale. You decided to waltz your way over to his desk, sinking into his office chair.

Your mind felt like a jumbled mess.
The more you thought about the spar you won, the more it confused you. A Fatui Agent? They were supposed to work under your orders, not try to assassinate you. How did they know where you were?

What the hell is going on?

Why you?

Why now?

Why do I  keep getting thrown into these life or death situations?

Why do I keep involving you and your family?

Why do you even bother with me?

Why do you continue to save me?

When will you ever get to save him?

Does the universe want you dead that bad?

What really stole him away from you?

You thought your questions would remain unanswered.
That was until you opened his desk drawer.
____________________________________
Chapter 34- End.