Chapter 5: Ghosts of the past

Third POV

Third POV

An elegant older woman sat at her piano, playing softly as her teenage son slept on the lounge with a red throw blanket over him and a Santa hat that has haphazardly slipped off his head and into his face. The woman is enjoying the moment of peace which she knew wouldn't last for long. After all, it never does when her whole family are in the room together.

"Wake up, dear," she says quietly to her son when she hears her husband walking towards the room. "Say goodbye to your father."

"Who's the homeless person," the man asks as, lifting the blanket off his son and waking him up.

"This is why I love coming home for Christmas," the boy laughs bitterly. "Right before you leave town."

Almost as if she could see out of the back of her head, the woman speaks up before her husband could say something to make the awkward situation even worse.

"Be nice, dear," she warns. "He's been studying abroad."

"Really, which broad," the older man scoffs as he takes the Santa hat off his son's head and tosses it on to the couch. "What's her name."

"Candice," the boys shrugs, unashamed about being called out by his father in front of his mother.

"Do me a favor," the man sighs. "Try not to burn the house down before Monday."

"Okay, so it's Monday," the boy says as he goes to stand behind his mother at the piano, trying to act like he doesn't care that his parents are leaving him for Christmas...again. "That's good to know. I will plan my toga party accordingly. Where're you going?"

"Your fathers flying us to the Bahamas for a little getaway," the woman says, never missing a note as she continues to play the piano

"We might have to make a quick stop," the man tells his son, walking over to join him behind the piano.

"At the Pentagon. Right?" The boy asks as he leans down to talk to his mother who had stopped playing the piano mid note. "Don't worry. You're going to love the holiday menu at the commissary."