Chapter 33: Family Reunion

It took a few good days until I finally stopped aching all over

It took a few good days until I finally stopped aching all over. But even when I could breath with out it hurting, I had trouble sleeping. Not wanting to keep Cedric up with my tossing and turning, I crept down stairs and sat on the couch. I wrapped the blanket that was draped over the back of the couch around my shoulders, more for comfort than actual warmth. 

I lost track of how long I had been sitting in the one spot, looking out the window at the quite streets of Hogsmeade but eventually I felt someone sit down beside me. I didn't know how I knew it was dad, but I just did.

"Are you okay, snowflake?" he asked me as he gently wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

"I don't know," I sighed.

"Well, why don't you start by telling me what is on your mind," dad offered.

"Everything," I told him. "Gullveig, Voldemort...Danny."

"You miss him, don't you," dad said referring to Danny.

"I do but I am still so angry at him for what he did," I said, feeling more than a little frustrated. "He turned on his own family, how could he do that! He tried to help Tony throw us in jail! How could I ever forgive that!"

"We all make mistakes, Elsa," dad reminded me.

"I know and I have made more than my fair share," I said. "But I didn't get him thrown in to the raft!"

"Is that all it is?" Dad asked me as he raised his eyebrow as he looked down at me.

"Maybe, no, not really," I admitted. "I mean, I knew we had started to grow apart in our last year at Hogwarts and I was so hurt when he chose to listen to Maggie and stayed at Hogwarts instead of helping Harry and the rest at the ministry. I know he never wanted to be a 'superhero' but this was different. This was helping a friend who was in danger. There is a war brewing in the wizarding world, whether he wants to admit it or not. Eventually, it will catch up with him and if he keeps going the way that he is, he will be so unprepared and I couldn't stand it if anything happened to him because of it."

"I know how you feel," dad told me. "It was the same before the war. Some people thought because it was over in Europe, we didn't have to worry about it. That was until Pearl Harbor at least, then people realised how serious things were."

"Yeah, but I don't want something to be blown up and for thousands of people to be killed before Danny finally realises how serious things are because by then, it will be too late."

"You can't force him to see something that he doesn't want to," dad explained. "If you do, you could end up forcing him further away from you." 

"Honestly, dad, at this point in time, I don't think that we can be any further apart."