Chapter 44: The Loyalty of a House Elf

The first day that we spent in Grimmauld Place we just tried to calm down from the previous 24 hours. We were all quiet on edge and needed to just relax, which was easier said than done with Mrs. Black scream obscenities if we walked to close to her and Kreacher sulking around every corner, listening to what we were saying.

On the second day, I woke up early to check on Freddie, who either had a cold or was acting up because he wasn't getting as much attention as he liked. After a few minutes of trying to calm him down, I gave up and let him sit on his favorite spot on my shoulder and climbed out of sanctuary to a completely silent house.

 After a few minutes of trying to calm him down, I gave up and let him sit on his favorite spot on my shoulder and climbed out of sanctuary to a completely silent house

I crept past the drawing room after noticing that Hermione and Ron were still sound asleep and holding hands. Harry wasn't in the room and I knew straight away where I would be able to find him. Making sure that I didn't wake up the snoring Mrs. Black, I made my way up to the top level of the house.

Sitting in Sirius's old bedroom, right where I knew where he would be, was Harry. He seemed to be lost in his own thoughts and didn't even notice that I had walked into the room until I sat down on the dusty floor next to him.

"I, ah, found this letter in Sirius's stuff," Harry said as he handed me an old letter written on faded, yellow parchment.

"What's in it?" I asked as I took the letter from him, being carefully of the aged parchment.

"Read it," Harry encouraged. "You'll see."

Curious about what the letter was about, I did just what Harry said and read the letter. From the moment I read the very first line, my heart broke for poor Harry. It was a letter from his mum to Sirius about a birthday present he had sent baby Harry.

Dear Padfoot,

Thank you, thank you for Harry's birthday present! It was his favourite by far. One year old and already zooming along on a toy broomstick, he looked so pleased with himself, I'm enclosing a picture so you can see for yourself. You know, it only rises about two feet off the ground, but he nearly killed the cat and smashed that horrible vase Petunia sent me for Christmas (no complaints there). Of course, James thought it was so funny says he's going to be a great Quidditch player, but we've had to pack away all the ornaments and make sure we don't take our eyes off him when he gets going.

We had a very quiet birthday tea, just us and old Bathilda, who had always been so sweet to us and who dotes on Harry. We were so sorry you couldn't come, but the Order's got to come first and Harry's not old enough to knpw it's his birthday anyway! James is getting a bit frustrated shut up here, he tries not to show it but I can tell-also Dumbledore's still got his invisibility cloak, so no chance of little excursions. If you could visit, it would cheer him up so much. Wormy was here last weekend, I thought he seemed down, but that was probably the news about the McKinnons; I cried all evening when I heard.

Bathilda drops in most days, she's a fascinating old thing with the most amazing stories about Dumbledore, I'm not sure he'd be pleased if he knew! I don't know how much to believe, actually, because it seems incredible that Dumbledore...