Chapter 57: Not so Shocking Betrayal

"This is incredible!" I said in awe as I looked at the beautifully detailed portraits on the ceiling

"This is incredible!" I said in awe as I looked at the beautifully detailed portraits on the ceiling. There was one for each of us who were friends with Luna. Cedric, Cass, Danny, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Neville and me. "Do you think Luna painted them herself?"

"I wouldn't be surprised," Cedric said, walking forward into the room, using his height to his advantage to run his fingers over the delicate gold chain that connected the portraits. "The chain, its one word repeated over and over again."

"What does it say?" I asked, standing on tiptoes to get a better look at the chain.

"Friends," Cedric said with a small smile. "It says friends."

"That is one of the most touching things I've ever seen," I said, wiping away the tear that had fallen onto my cheek. "And one of the saddest."

"She really didn't have friends until we came along," Cedric said with a sigh as he pulled me over to the bed to sit down. "I just never realised how lonely she probably was until now."

"I know, I feel so bad," I murmured as Cedric pulled bandages out of Hermione bag. "Wait. You're actually going to bandage my hands?"

Cedric laughed as he gently pulled my blistered hands into his own and carefully started to rebandage them. Not use to healing so slowly, I winced as he dabbed whatever antiseptic Hermione had stored away on to the weeping, burst blisters. 

"Of course, I'm going to rebandage your hands," he chuckled as he wrapped them in clean, soft bandages. "What kind of fiancée would I be if I didn't. Besides, if we come back down without your hands bandaged, Lovegood MAY actually start to question what is going on."

"You mean, he might realise that I almost turned his house into a winter wonderland because he was acting like a jerk," I said bitterly.

"That and that you 'confiscated' his Crumpled-Horned Snorkack horn," Cedric said with a small smile.

"And I plan to send it to Newt as soon as possible," I said, getting angry again. "An innocent Erumpent died so that he could have his special horn. It's so wrong!"

"I know it is, love, but you need to calm down," Cedric said, wrapping me in his arms so that I could burrow my head in his neck. "You're icing the windows over again."

"Oh, sorry, I didn't realise," I said, raising my head just enough to look at the windows and defrost them.

Once I was sure that all signs of frost were going, I lowered my head back down so that it was resting on Cedric's chest and held him close. Closing my eyes, I let the steady beating of his heart clam me down. These days, it was one of the few things that could. Sensing how stressed I truly was, Cedric pulled me closer to him and rested his cheek on the top of my head as he brushed the hair from my face.

The longer I sat there in Cedric's embrace, the calmer I became and the clearer my thoughts became. I thought about the tray that Lovegood carried out, it only had five cups on it. It was already obvious that he wasn't planning on giving me whatever was in the that homemade brew of his. But what about Luna? What about his own daughter?