Chapter 49: From Bad to Worse

Kimberley's POV

Kimberley's POV

The latest place we were hiding out in was a small town in the south of France, right on the coast line. The house we were staying out was just outside of the town, where we wouldn't attract any attention. It was a small house, a cottage really, but it was big enough for the four of us to live in. Cassy was floating between staying with us and staying with Hamish and Amanda, not wanting to miss the latest news of the war in the wizarding world. Wanda and Vision were laying low together but were checking in regularly with us.

I had got up early, just like I did every morning, and took a walk along the cliffs edge. The brisk morning, sea breeze blew my hair out of my face, letting the fading red strands flutter behind me. Even though the cool breeze didn't affect me, I pulled my cardigan a little tighter around me, mostly for comfort than anything else.

Neither Steve nor I had heard from Elsa for over a week but I was trying not to show how worried I was about her. I knew that she was no longer a child and was more than capable of looking after herself, but she would always be my little girl and I didn't like the idea of her fighting a war. I knew that it was hypocritical of me because I had done the very same thing. But the war I fought was with bullets and guns and the occasional hydra weapon, not with wands and magic and killing curses.

"I know that look," Steve said, startling me as he walked up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. "You're thinking about Elsa, aren't you?"

"Am I getting that obvious?" I asked with a laugh.

"Only to me," Steve told me. "She's okay, she tough. Nothing will stop her from achieving her goals."

"I know, she's just like you," I reminded him. "Which, unfortunately means that she is also more than likely going to jump head first into danger to save people."

"Which is why she's lucky to have Cedric looking out for her just like I had you. So, she won't be jumping head first in to danger," Steve said, pulling me in a little closer to him as I looked up at him and raise an eyebrow. "Okay, she won't be jumping head first into danger without looking both ways."

"Now, that sounds more accurate. I just wish she would contact us."

"Well, actually, she has," a voice said from behind us.

Both Steve and I turned around to see Cassy standing behind us, with a tablet of her own making in her hands with a uncharacteristic worried look on her face.

"Come back to the cottage, we all need to talk."