Chapter 6 | Rico Suave

Our waitress, McKinsey drops off our drinks

"Love the high ponytail. Puts me in the mind of Ariana Grande." Penelope compliments McKinsey.

"Thank you, I get that a lot." McKinsey smiles. "Anything else I can get you?"

"No, this is great." Mia tells her.

I wait impatiently for McKinsey to leave. "Nora will pop in and out? I think the sister wife thing is starting to take form!" I snatch my oversized straw and take a long sip of my matcha milk tea filling my mouth with chewy tapioca pearls.

"Ha! Rico Suave." Penelope exclaims. "See, some men just can't be honest." Penelope puckers her lips before taking a long swig of her kiwi passionfruit boba tea.

"Uh huh!" I egg her on.

Mia interrupts and turns to Penelope. "Piña don't gas her!" She looks at me. "Girl! I told you." She holds out one hand, palm up. "Be patient and be fair." She holds out the other hand, palm up. "At the same time, don't get comfortable in this transition. And please don't overreact before you truly know what's going on."

Penelope raises her eyebrows in between sips.

"See Ari, you know all this stuff already. But for some reason, when it comes to Phoenix your brain turns to mush, girl." Mia frowns and slurps her strawberry watermelon boba tea.

Penelope pipes in. "She's right, Ari. Your conclusions!" Her hands touch her forehead, mimicking an exploding brain. "Always over the top!"

I stare Penelope up and down. "Wow!"

"Wha?" Her lip curls on one side.

"I guess ignorance really is bliss." I rub my temples.

"Pinche punta," Penelope says under her breath.

"Bitch, I heard that." I side eye Penelope.

"Aye, cut that out! Turning on each other isn't helping anybody."

Penelope rolls her eyes. "Look, I'm sorry. Just don't be calling me stupid, alright?"

"I wasn't calling you stupid, per se. I was talking about your 'oblivious act.'" I air quote. "I hate when you do that. Pretend you don't know what you just did. It's annoying." I suck my teeth. "But I'm sorry too. OK, Piña?"

Penelope sticks out her tongue.

I blow her a kiss.

Mia looks at me. "The main thing is, you got to keep your head on right, but at the same time, swivel when you need to. You get me?"

I squint. "Yeah."

"You got to swerve. Watch and swerve! Swivel and swerve!" Penelope pretends she's twisting and turning the steering wheel of a car.

"It's like this, Ari. Phoenix is in a tight spot, trying to please both sides. He's doing whatever to appease Nora, but his goal is you! And I get your perspective, he's in this grey area, where really only he knows what's going on. You and Nora don't talk. So, neither of you two know what's happening on the other side. It's an impossible situation, but if it's gonna work, you've got to trust him. Now I will be honest, it's a risk." Mia looks me straight in the eyes.