Chapter 51 | Love in Limbo

Could it be Phoenix in that ambulance? He wasn't his usual self the last time I saw him

Could it be Phoenix in that ambulance? He wasn't his usual self the last time I saw him. Why was he just sitting there in that chair like that? No words! He didn't speak, not even once. And her! That little bitch. . .

What really happened between them?

If I had just—

—"Oh God!" My stomach suddenly loses its bottom. Before I know it, the officer has hors d'oeuvre bits all over his boots.

"Whoa!" The officer jumps back. "You alright?" He leans over and touches my shoulder and the surprised look in his eyes leaves me perplexed. "Hey!" He waves down a medic. "Bring this young lady a blanket. And check if she's alright?" He turns to me. "You're soaked! In this weather, in your condition? This is not good, ma'am." His tone is one of concern.

Trying hard to keep from throwing up again, I swallow and notice his name badge. "Sorry, Officer Hill." I stand there trying to hide the fact that I'm feeling faint. "It was the sprinklers." I point behind me. "And my coat. It's in the building."

"Of course." He agrees.

A medic wraps a white waffle-weave blanket around my shoulders.

"Her lips are blue." He tells the medic. Officer Hill turns to me, "The wife is eight months pregnant, right now as we speak. So, believe me, this is coming from a good place when I tell ya, you need to get home. It's late and pretty crazy out here."

I nod.

"Let's see how you're doing." The medic faces me and shines a light in both my eyes. "Looks good. Let's step over here?" She guides me to the back of an empty ambulance truck. "Here, have a seat. Have you had any substances, illegal or otherwise tonight?" She takes a stethoscope and listens to my heart.

"Heart rate a little high."

I shake my head no.

"Good. Last time you ate?"

I glance at the officer's boots as he takes a bottle of water and washes away the remnants of my night. Oddly enough, I find that funny. "I ate plenty, just ask him."

Bright eyes and beautiful smile, she replies, "Right." Her smooth brown skin glows a dark bronze hue under the streetlights. She snickers as she takes out a blood pressure pump, straps it onto my arm and begins pumping.

"Great company to work for. I've actually met Mr. Prescott a few times. A real pillar of the community. Well respected and dare I say, loved." She stops pumping and reads the gauge as my arm throbs under the pressure.

I sigh. "Yeah, he's a pretty good guy."

"You attended the holiday party?"

I nod.

"Is there anyone else in a condition like the gentleman they brought out on the stretcher?"

Gentleman? So, it was a guy?

I try to hide my desperation by clearing my throat. "So, uh, do you know who it was?"

"I don't, sorry." She deflates the cuff around my arm puts the blood pressure gauge away. "Listen, your blood pressure is slightly high, but good. And all your other vitals look good. Any idea why you threw up?"

I look down at my belly, then my feet. "Just nerves, I think."

"Well, you take care of yourself. Remember your little one feels everything you do." She smiles knowingly. "A mama knows." She holds her hand out.

I take it and stand up.

She helps me down from the back of the ambulance, closes the doors and goes to meet her partner.

I spot Officer Hill in his newly cleaned boots talking into the radio on his shoulder.

"Hill Twelve?" A dispatcher calls.

Officer Hill replies, "Hill Twelve, go ahead."

"Security guard witnessed malicious activity and placed the call to 911, witness's description of a suspect around 20 years of age, showing physical as black female, five foot, seven inches, black hair black eyes—"

"Go ahead," Officer Hill responds.

"Witness reports unknown illegal substance in suspect's possession, reports seeing suspect drug and rob an executive employee—"

"Go ahead."

"Proceed with caution as suspect pulled the fire alarm to avoid capture. Go in, apprehend suspect and bring her in for identification and questioning."

Office Hill speaks into his radio. "Copy. Over and out." He jogs towards the skyscraper with a flashlight in his left hand and the other hand resting on his weapon.

This is unreal. If I understand what I think I just heard. . . this . . . is a crime scene? A crime was committed against Phoenix?

Wait! You don't know that. There were plenty of executives and plenty of twenty somethings at that party. It very literally could've been anyone.

Well, that intern fits the description.

Sure, but how many others also fit it?

The image of Brook in red lingerie, throwing herself at Phoenix, while he just sat there and let her do it, won't leave my mind. First, she's standing in the doorway swaying her hips. Then she's crawling on the floor with those long Amazonian legs. Then she's sitting in his lap, rubbing his cock with her naked ass. All her goods out like enticing pieces of candy. And not once did he refuse. He didn't reject her in the least bit. He watched her, never once speaking up to say that's enough. Was it because he was enjoying himself or was he the executive that got drugged? I can only imagine what happened after I left them alone.

He could've taken advantage or gotten taken advantage of.

Which is it? Why did I run? I should've stuck around and confronted them. At least I'd know by now which way is really up.

My vision gets hazy. Lifting my head to the sky, I notice a watery sparkle here and there as chatter from crowd plays out in the background. I sniffle to clear my nose and angrily wipe away the steady stream of tears. 

I wish I could go back...

What a fucking crock. 

I need answers. Now.

*******************************************

Not knowing can be the worst part of any situation. Aria finds herself in limbo and she's not one to stand still. Do you think she still has a chance with Phoenix?