Chapter 31 | Sleigh Bells Jingling

2 Months Ago

December 24th Christmas Eve (4 Months Pregnant)

Phoenix steps up on the ladder. I pass him a long plump string of white garland which he drapes around the tree. Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" adds a lively touch to the festive atmosphere.

I step back. "It's coming together, babe. Our tree belongs in magazines. Martha Stewart ain't got nothing on us."

"Yeah, we were a little late to the party with the tree, but this one blows them all away."

I reach under my ugly Santa sweater to rub my belly. "Oh! He kicked! Phoenix, the baby jumped."

Phoenix rushes down the ladder.

I wave him towards me. "Feel it. Right here." I tell him, placing my hand over his as we wait.

A jolt strikes our hands like lightning.

"Strong little dude!" Phoenix flexes like he's Popeye getting ready to knock out Bruno. "Just like his daddy!" He smiles and kisses me which I gladly accept.

"This is definitely an all-white Christmas," I tell him, admiring our flocked, all-white tree with gold accents. "It's breath-taking."

"Pass me the star, babe." Phoenix gets back on the top rung of the ladder.

I shuffle through the store bags to find the gold wire star. "Here it is." I remove the packaging and pass it to him.

Phoenix places it on top. "How's that? Is it straight?" He looks to me for approval.

"A little to the left."

He adjusts it.

"To the right. A tiny smidget."

He adjusts it.

"Perfect."

Phoenix descends the ladder and joins me. He wraps his arms around me and admiring our work. "Damn, it's stunning. Just like my baby." He kisses my neck, sending shivers down my back. Phoenix goes under the tree searching. "I want you to open mine first." He grins, holding a small, wrapped box in his hands.

"Looks like a ring box." I shake it, trying to discern its contents.

"Open it to find out."

Tearing the gold wrapping, reveals a black, leather jewelry box. I open it to find a gorgeous infinity symbol ring, encrusted in diamonds.

"It's a promise ring." He takes the box and removes the ring from its pillow. "Can I have your hand?" Phoenix takes my left hand. "Being the man I am, I can do three things for you."

"Three things? Only three?" I poke fun, squinting my eyes at him.

"Only three. But they're pretty potent. It's the three P's. Protect, Profess and Provide. That's what I can do and it's what I will do. For you." He slides the ring on my finger.

It twinkles in the glow of the Christmas lights.

"It's absolutely gorgeous, Phoenix. I can't take my eyes off of it. What'd you say? Protect."

"Profess." He chimes in.

"Provide." I pause, letting it reverberate in the air. "I love the sound of that." I squeeze him like he's my favorite teddy bear. "Aww. Thanks, babe!" Going under the tree, I confess, "I don't know if I can top that. But I hope you like what I got you anyway!" I pick up a green and gold stripe wrapped box.

A smirk comes across his face. "What's this?"

I hold it back like a carrot tied to a stick. "I just want to say we've been through so much in such a short amount of time. It hasn't even been a whole year and we're knee deep in it. I came into this not knowing what would come of us. And believe me, I've already gotten more than I bargained for, in terms of love and companionship, but also in terms of testing my boundaries and my ability trust. Oh my God!" Closing my eyes, I lean my head back. "I have no idea how I've lasted this long." A heavy sigh parts my lips. "What I'm trying to say is, I want to let it go, the mistrust, the endless wondering if it will all work out. The worry. I want to give it up and just step into us, into love. You know?"

Phoenix nods. "Yeah, that's all I want. This other shit, it's for the birds as far as I'm concerned. No one can come between us. I just won't let that happen, Ari. You, the baby, my girls, you all are everything to me."

I grin at him with bedroom eyes, then press play on my iPhone on a pre-selected song, "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt. "Here." I present Phoenix with his gift.

He shakes the box.

I pull my ugly Santa sweater over my head and helicopter it to the floor.

Phoenix looks at me, puzzled.

"Go on." I prompt him as I pull down my matching red leggings to reveal Santa-themed lingerie.

His eyes light up.

"Open it." I tell him as I reach on the side of the couch to grab my thigh-high boots and a Santa hat.

"What's all this?" he asks looking excited and curious.

"You won't be able to get your gift if you don't open it." I tease as I slip the boots up each thigh and casually put on my hat.

"A handheld camcorder?"

I sit on his lap. "The newest, latest out. And yes, for all the new memories we're going to create in our new life together. Tonight, being one of the first." I take the camcorder and sit it on the tripod I've pulled from under the couch. Turning on the power, I press record.

Phoenix folds his hands behind his head and leans back on the black leather love seat.

"You're in the perfect position. Don't move." I tell him as I catwalk from across the room to him. Once I'm standing between his legs staring intensely into his dark eyes, I lower myself down onto my knees. 

**************************

Mmm hmm . . :-)