Chapter 48 | Something Sinister Here...

I've given up on finding him in this ballroom or on the fifty-second floor for that matter. He's simply not here. I pull out my iPhone and call him.

Shit!

His voicemail greets me. Maybe he's busy. Tied up. Maybe he's using the restroom? I'll give him a few minutes. I wait around trying to look busy. Smiling at wandering eyes, I go to the bar and request a white soda to help settle my stomach.

You're an actress.

Playing the role of sane person at work party. This has gone too far.

The ASMR of my fingertips tapping on the back of my phone is somewhat soothing. I give in to the urge to call him again.

This is not good. Voicemail again.

OK. What can I do?

You can head home. Should've tore down that fucking wall. Who cares what these people think? They couldn't care less about you. Is anyone asking how you're doing? Does anyone look the least bit concerned?

I rub my forehead. Someone taps my shoulder.

"Aria? You alright?"

I look back to see Ally. "Oh. Hi. Yes. Just ya know, pregnancy." I point at my belly. "Feeling a little full!" I joke.

"Hahaha. Right. Well, we got a table over there." She looks to the left. "Come join us?"

"Sure." I reluctantly follow.

Check that chick's socials. She seems like the type to document her whole life on social media. Attention whore.

I find a seat at the table.

"What happened to you?" asks Rory.

"Got lost." I kid.

He snickers. "Big enough to get lost in this sea of people. Who knew all these people worked here? Some of these people I've never seen before tonight."

"Yeah. Crazy right?" I shrug my shoulders as I begin a deep dive on my iPhone. "Um. Excuse me for a minute? Got to check something."

Rory turns and joins the conversation at the table as I sit back.

Go to the company website and look up profiles. Start there.

Anything to keep those horrible thoughts of him with her, away.

OK. Here she is.

Scanning her bio, I find a social handle at the bottom. I click it. Sure enough, she's been posting pictures, bragging about her night and the fact that she gets to schmooze with the big wigs. Almost every picture posted is of her and Phoenix.

Little bitch.

The comments are outrageous. Enough to send me into a mini-rage, right here in my seat. I cover my mouth and take a long, deep breath to contain myself. Her followers are shipping them!

They think they're dating?

This is too much. She's gone unchecked for far too long. Why are there so many pictures of them together? Here, they're with the other executives. Here, they're alone, together. A fresh drink, huh? She's working hard to keep the liquor flowing. Phoenix's smile is very telling. He's on his way to high town. That goofy, silly, empty grin he gets when he's having a good time. What's this picture? I tap it to zoom in. Why is she kissing him on the cheek? Sure, It's cutesy and playful, sort of tongue and cheek, but very unprofessional. Phoenix looks even more drunk here, like he barely has control of himself. She, however, looks very much in control.