Chapter 29 | Cat's Out the Bag Part III

Parallel parking has never been my strong suit and this time is no different

Parallel parking has never been my strong suit and this time is no different. I line up parallel to Phoenix's truck no less than five times before I can successfully reverse into the parking space behind his truck. Dread makes each step feel as if I'm stepping into buckets of marshmallow cream. Taking in a deep breath before turning the lock, I knuckle up and go inside.

"There she is." Phoenix sits comfortably with his arms resting on the back of the leather couch. "How goes it?" He asks, knowing all too well the answer.

Dropping my coat off at the door, I take a seat next to him. The shame of my actions still weighing heavily on me. "I'm sorry I—"

He lifts his hand. "I should be used to it by now." He flexes jaw. "At some point, Ari, you have to learn to trust me." He looks at me for a response.

I wait patiently for him to continue.

He rubs the stubble on his chin. "Listen. You followed me tonight, right? So, you have an idea. About Nora?" He waits for conformation.

"No. I, uh." My mind draws a blank. "No. What is it?" I ask.

Phoenix looks out the window then back. He leans forward, huddled over, bringing his elbows to rest on his knees. "I swore I wouldn't tell anyone, but she's doing too much. Calling me out at all times of the night, cause she knows what I'm doing. She knows me too well. Since we were kids."

"What you're doing?" I ask puzzled.

"Everything and just about anything she wants in exchange for a smooth, hassle-free divorce. You know."

"Oh." I roll my eyes. "That. OK."

"But it's getting to the point, she's taking advantage. Listen, Nora is no threat to you. I just want you to know there's no chance Nora and I will ever and I mean ever get back together." He pauses for a moment. "Nora came out to me."

"Came out?" My brow furrows.

"Yeah. She likes women. Exclusively."

My eyebrows raise. "Ohh. Came out." I cover my mouth. "It all makes sense now." I poke his side. "Ohh! So, she's done with your dick? It's all mine, right? No more dick bouncing parties for her!" I exclaim, sticking out my tongue, turning up.

Phoenix looks down into his lap and chuckles. "Yeah. That's the reason for the dinner with her folks. She wanted me there for moral support. She told them that night."

"Really? How'd it go?"

"Well, they accepted her. They're religious and all, but they love their daughter. God, then family first, which I respect."

"Wow." I look around searching for something to say. "Good for her. Right?"

"Yeah. She's been confiding in me and needed me for all sorts of little things. Tonight, she wanted me to meet her new girlfriend. So, I went to show my support."

"Huh." I close my mouth. "So, all this time, you've been the supportive bestie?"

He nods. "It's the reason I had a girlfriend when you met me. We've been separated for a while. She told me back then she wanted a divorce, but didn't tell me exactly why, until recently. Like a month ago."

"Well, why in the hell didn't you tell me? You were driving me crazy with all your little rendezvous."

"I told you, she swore me to secrecy. This is her truth and it's hers to tell it. But I'm telling you now only because I know I'm running you through the ringer and you're carrying my child. I can't keep putting undue stress on you. For the sake of our family. I've got treat you right, Ari."

His words melt my heart. I try holding back to keep the brims of my eyes from filling too fast.

"It's a hard time for her. For our family. For the girls. We haven't even told them yet." His eyes reveal a hidden sadness. "I don't know how they'll take it."

"Hey." I reach for his hand. "Hey, however they react, it's OK. You know? We'll get through it."

He nods. "Yeah. It's just a lot. A big burden for them to bear. For you. For the baby." He stares out the window as snow swirls in a gust of wind. "I can't wait to come out clean on the other side. I'm just trying to make it to that point." He leans back on the couch, his eyes returning to snow.

I curl up next to him, in his arms, and join him in letting my mind wander.

I'm safe, finally. No one can take him away from me.

*****************************