Chapter 13 | Unexpected Part 2

Sheila notices me as I'm walking up. She immediately releases her grip on Phoenix's arm. "I appreciate it. Talk to you later?"

"Sure. Reach out to my receptionist and leave the details with her. I'll take it from there."

Just as I enter Phoenix's airspace, Sheila excuses herself.

"Why is she here?" I ask.

Phoenix sips his cocktail. "No biggie. Nixon called to see where I was, said Sheila wanted to ask a favor. I told her to stop by. She's not staying."

"Oh, good. Sourpuss Sheila is not welcome here," I declare.

"Ha! I know you don't like her, but she's Nixon's wife. Actually, soon to be ex if they don't get their shit together."

I frown. "What do you mean? Ex?"

"Well after the trip to Miami, Sheila caught wind of that last party, you know, at the "Mansion?"

"And? What about it?"

"You know Nixon, went off on his own? To do his own thing?" Phoenix looks at me, waiting.

"Oh. . . oh!"

Phoenix nods.

"To do his own thing! So, he had sex with somebody at that party?"

"Yep. And he told her about it."

"No!" I stand there blinking blankly. I raise my hand. "I may have had something to do with her even asking him about it. I sort of mentioned the party to her when we ran into each other."

"You did what?!"

"You know how Sheila can be. That woman seriously has it out for me. She was trying to destroy us. Told me all about Nora. Said our relationship would never amount to anything. That I'm nothing but a baby mama. You know how she can be. Horrible!"

"Babe, you never told me that."

"Yeah. Well, I almost let her convince me it was true. So glad I didn't." I grab his arm and stand on my tippy toes.

He leans down to kiss me with those soft, sexy lips.

"Yeah. Now, she's ready to vacate on his ass because of that night. They were on the rocks before they came to Miami, though. This is like the feather that broke the camel's back. He's on thin ice. Will do anything to keep her and she's sucking him dry."

"I don't know why. She is not a catch. She's a catch and release!"

Phoenix laughs. "If you only knew the shit that woman has gotten away with. I'm surprised she's not in jail by now. Diabolical. Believe me."

Perplexed, I ask, "So, why do anything for her? You should've never met her here."

"It's all for my boy. You know Nixon and I been boys, since we were boys. We got each other's back, no matter what." Phoenix pauses. "Now, it makes sense."

"What?"

"Why Nixon didn't want to come to the shower."

"Why?"

"He's low key mad at you for snitching." Phoenix shakes his head.

I roll my eyes. "I didn't snitch. I was just getting even with that bitch. She's a fucking bitch, you know that right?"

"Calm down, babe. I know how she is. And you have every right to feel the way you do. I'm just putting the pieces together."

"Well, fuck her. And I would say fuck Nixon, but I'll give him a pass. For now."