Chapter 46 | Next Level Shit

Present Day

Present Day

February (6 Months Pregnant)

Rested and well-adjusted after taking some time to myself, I exit the elevator. The entire floor is all abuzz. I frown. "Hey, Chelsea!"

"Happy Monday, Ari! Such an exciting time right now!"

"Uh—"

--Her phone rings. She lifts a finger to take the call. I nod and move on. People are celebrating, high fiving. Taking my seat, I swivel around to Tonya.

"Psst. Hey, Tonya! What's going on?"

Tanya turns around, takes a bite of a bagel. "Oh my God, Ari! You're back. The crew missed you."

I laugh. "You mean you and Rory?"

She does an eighties arm cross. "Yeah, you know, the Crew!"

I nod. "OK, then."

"Crazy times! A ton has gone down in the week you've been out. The Prescott Apex deal. Closed! It's official, we're now a multibillion-dollar valued company! There are talks of us going public, this year! We're having a blowout celebration this Friday. Plus, we all get bonuses for our work on Windsor Court! This is the best. Monday. Ever."

He did it. Phoenix did that!

"Wow, so Mr. Prescott made it happen? That's great! This is awesome." I turn, staring at a blank computer screen.

He didn't tell you...

We haven't exactly been on speaking terms.

A sigh escapes me.

Tonya looks back. "Is everything OK?" she asks, a concerned expression on her face.

"Oh, no! I'm fine." A forced chuckle fills the awkward space. "Couldn't be better. We get bonuses. What? You're right. Best. Monday. Ever." I scoot my chair to my desk; her face disappears behind my cubicle wall.

"Well, let a girl know if you need anything. You know with baby on board and all. Tonya's at your service."

I force a laugh. "Of course. Thanks."

Ally stops by, steaming coffee mug in hand. "Aria! So glad you're back. Feeling better?"

I smile, nod.

"I know by now you've heard the great news." She looks both ways, then leans in. "And someone is keeping an eye on your work. They must be pretty impressed with what you're doing. I was instructed to send you to the big boss's office for a personal congratulations on the work you've done with Windsor. Mind you, we still have a few kinks to work out, but by all accounts, we're a go." She smiles proudly.

"Uh, so what do I have to do?"

Ally snickers. "Don't look so glum. This is a job-well-done kind of meeting. Mr. Prescott requested to see you as soon as you touch ground this morning. He left a temporary executive key with Chelsea." Ally tucks her hand in her black wide-leg slacks, lifts her coffee mug and walks off.