Chapter 55 | When it Hits the Fan

Who's calling now?

Who's calling now?

I pick up. "Leon."

"Stefon found her. Come get me."

"On my way." I leave enough to cover the bill and a hefty tip. McKinsey has no idea what she's done for me. I wave her down as I put on my coat and grab my handbag. Pointing down at the money, I tell her, "Keep the change."

She smiles.

I nod, hurrying off to the truck. "Glitter" by Benee plays on the radio as I jet out the parking lot.

Careful girl, we are not trying to hydroplane.

Can't get there fast enough.

Against my better judgement, I floor it. All the way there.

I arrive at the hospital and Leon is waiting out in front.

"Where to?" I ask.

He walks to the driver's door. "Nowhere for you. Move over." He shakes his head.

"What?" I ask.

"Screeching in a hospital parking lot? You trying to send some unlucky pedestrian to the E.R.?"

"So, where's Brooke?" I ask.

He smiles. "Stefon has her in the dungeon."

"Dungeon?" I ask.

"It's like panic room, so to speak. Not listed on the building blueprints. It's for emergencies like this."

"Oh. He didn't turn her over to police?" I ask, frowning.

"No, we want to question her first." He pulls off.

***

We arrive at Prescott Realty. Cops are still there. The yellow tape barricade is still there. The crowd has thinned out, but the police are still conducting business on the premises. Leon drives past the scene.

"I got this." He drives around to the parking structure entrance. We park on level near the top. We get out and go to a door marked "Authorized Personnel Only." He takes out a badge, presses it on a pad and the door unlocks."

We enter a dark hallway, the motion-activated lights blink on. We turn right and enter a series of locked doors until we arrive at what looks like an interrogation room. There's Stefon seated at a table and across from him is Brooke, sitting there in a white, oversized man's dress shirt, no shoes. She looks disheveled. I step into the room and off to the side. Leon takes a seat at the table.

"Got your ass." Leon sucks his teeth. "So, you thought you could take my man out, huh?"

Brooke refuses to make eye contact. She toys with the zip tie around her wrists. "I get a phone call."

Leon laughs. "She thinks we're cops." He slams the table.

She jumps.

"We're not cops, doll. We don't follow any kind of rules here. We do what the fuck we want to do. Just like you did."