Chapter 42 | Save Me From Myself

Mia hangs off Penelope's shoulder and whispers loudly in her ear

Mia hangs off Penelope's shoulder and whispers loudly in her ear. "Told you I was gonna turn up! That's three out of three. I'm still the best!" She looks towards the booth filled with the guys that were thirsty for our pool table. "All yours," she yells over the music and waves them off.

A signature drum roll kicks off a Bob Marley joint. "Is This Love?" fills the air in the pool hall.

Mia hugs Penelope in a drunken happiness. "Ohh! This song!" She sways her hips. "Gets me in my soul."

I laugh and get up to join them.

"There she is!" Penelope yells as walk-dance towards them.

Singing along, I lean my head back and belt out the lyrics as loud as I care to. Even still the music overpowers me.

"Look who decided to crash the party." Penelope taps my arm and leans her head in the direction of the door.

Phoenix and Nixon stand at the entrance, surveying the crowd, then turn right, away from us to the other side of the pool hall.

"I don't think they saw us." I whisper.

"Wait, what's going on with you two?" Penelope runs her finger in circles inches away from my face.

Mia continues singing and dancing.

Penelope stares at me waiting for an explanation.

I wave her off. "It's nothing, girl. We just need space. I told you guys when I called. I had to get out." I glance over her shoulder, checking for Phoenix. "Honestly, I'd rather not run into him. You know?"

She looks into my eyes. "I get it. We'll just hang back here. Not gonna let them ruin our night. We'll leave when we're goddamn ready." Penelope pretends to land one on my chin. "There's the smile I was looking for."

I roll my eyes. "I'm going to the ladies' room. Be right back." I head towards the center of the pool hall for the bathroom.

"Hold up, bruh! What did she just say?"

A girl's laughter pierces through the chatter of the crowd.

Another guy laughs loudly.

I know that laugh.

"She said she wouldn't let you hit if you paid her a million dollars." He laughs in his hearty, gregarious way.

I follow the sound of his voice.

"But you?" A girl wearing a body-hugging, all-white cat suit, leans into Phoenix as he stands against a pool table taking a sip of his drink. She whispers something in his ear.

He laughs coyly and wags his finger at her.

My heart leaps into my throat.

Phoenix slickly slides away and walks to the other side of the table. The girl follows, gliding her fingers along the perimeter of the pool table as she walks. She gets up close to him, face to face and says something that makes him laugh. He finishes his drink and steps away. Sitting the empty glass on a nearby tabletop, he grabs a pool cue stick off the wall. Nixon racks the pools balls while the girl, plops her derriere on the side of the pool table to watch them play.