Chapter 22 | When We Win Part 2

The words "Ponce City Market" highlight the entrance to a repurposed historic Sears building

The words "Ponce City Market" highlight the entrance to a repurposed historic Sears building. It now houses restaurants, shops and condos. Modern, yet cozy décor nestled among unique, one-of-a-kind pieces like an oversized antique clock roped off for all to see, huge industrial pillars with exposed pipes in the ceiling and an actual 3D replica of the local area, tiny buildings and all. Inside is an eclectic mix of shops and food from around the world, a Ramen noodle bar, an authentic Italian pizza, gelato, a French bakery, an Ethiopian restaurant.

We definitely look like tourists as we peruse the shops of Ponce. Mia and Riz point and laugh. Penelope and JC take selfies in front of a unique "A" shaped sculpture. Phoenix and I look around like we're lost, soaking up the scene.

"So many choices. I've never even heard of some of these stores," Mia says looking back at us.

"Hey guys, what are they doing over there." I point to a huge crowd of people standing in multiple lines.

"Is that a cargo elevator?" Phoenix asks out loud. He nudges a guy next to us. "Where does that go?"

"Oh, that takes you to the rooftop. There's mini golf, potato sack slides, games. Stuff like that."

"Thanks, bruh."

The guy smiles and walks off.

Phoenix looks around at us. "Wanna go?"

I smile. "Let's."

We all agree and stand in line. The bright yellow cargo elevator comes down and opens empty. The operator allows us on. He counts as we pile in, then he stops the crowd. He starts closing the gate, then stops as the crowd splits and lets a group of people through. The operator allows the entourage on.

I can't believe this!

Leaning over to Phoenix, I ask, "Is that?"

Our eyes meet. Phoenix laughs and nods. "Only in Atlanta."

I elbow Mia and gesture for her to look. Her eyes grow almost as big as her open mouth. She elbows Penelope who can't contain her excitement.

"Usher!" Penelope screams to my embarrassment, jumping up and down.

"Piña!" I whisper loudly. "We're on an elevator! Jumping here is no bueno."

Penelope has tunnel vision. "Oh my God! I love you and your music!"

I nudge Penelope.

"Oh! Can we take a selfie with you?" She pleads, her eyes wide.

Usher smiles and nods. Not one to be left out, I lean in as Mia and Penelope gather around him. Penelope passes her phone to JC.

"Say it! You gotta say it!" I insist like a kid begging for candy.

"It's Usher, baby." Usher licks his lips and smiles.