Chapter 41 - S.O.S. Part III

"Listen, I just need some time. I feel like a crab in a pot and the temperature is slowly creeping up on me. I need a cool down. RIGHT NOW."

"No," I plead, "listen, Phoenix. I need to tell you what I heard Brooke say—"

"—Not this again. Listen babe, your persistence is ultimately what kept us together. It works. But not all the time. You got to know when to turn it on and when to turn it off. In school, getting tough classes, passing exams, even getting a job. It works! Beautifully. But now? It's tearing us apart. Some things you can't win with persistence. Let it go. Brooke stays on the team. End of conversation."

"But—"

"—But nothing." He tells me in a high pitched, I'm-getting-off-the-phone-with-you tone. "I love you. I'm going out with Nixon tonight. Don't wait up."

"Nixon? You know how much he hates me."

"Ari, this is not about you. My boy needs to let off some steam and frankly, I do too."

"Well, are you at least coming home to the condo?" I ask.

"No! I'm going back to my crib. I told you. I need space and time, babe." He takes an exasperated breath. "Space and time."

"But!"

--"No buts, Ari. No discussion. Talk to you tomorrow." He hangs up.

I stare at my iPhone. The sensation of wanting to move, but not being able to, seizes me.

Stuck on stupid!

There's nothing I can do to escape it. He's blocked me completely, nothing I say or do holds any weight when it comes to this girl.

This fucking girl!

How did she get her claws into him so deep? All while under my radar? Who is she and what does she want with my man? She has him where she wants him and me where she wants me.

Tears. So fucking tired of tears. I bite down on the rage steadily building in my chest.

She doesn't even know you two are together. And maybe that's the problem.

And Nixon! Let's not get on him.

He's gonna have him doing all kinds of scandalous, just to pay me back.

I can only imagine what he'll drag Phoenix into.

You know what you gotta do.

No! I'm staying right here. That only makes things worse.

You know that's not what's gonna happen tonight. You're going out.

Not with a belly as big as this! In a club! Are you crazy?

A little. But it's the good kind of crazy. Beats driving myself crazy wondering what they're up to.

If I could face palm you right now!

Grabbing my iPhone, I press my favorite group chat "Sissies for Life" and Mia's and Penelope's happy faces pop up on the facetime call.

"What's up, Sis?" I ask.

"Well, hello, my beautiful pregasus!"

Mia snorts at Penelope's new nickname for me.

"Cute. Ladies! Wanna go out tonight?" I ask eagerly.

They laugh simultaneously.

"What's so funny?" I ask frowning.

"Ari."

"Chica. You're showing like crazy! Do you really want to be in a club in your condition?"

Mia laughs. "Yeah, you'll stick out like a girl with a juicy, greasy "S" curl wearing a pastel Jane Fonda workout fit and leg warmers from the eighties, sis. It's a big, fat, I-don't-think-it's-a-good-look, for me."

"I just . . . wanna get out, you know. I'm feeling a little stifled right now." I reply.

"Being preggers ain't easy."

"I mean, I get it. Maybe wear a jacket to help cover it?" Mia suggests.

Penelope shrugs. "It could work. And we'll just hover around you, so no one notices. Wear all black. We'll do it. Why not? For sisterhood."

"I will do anything for my sis." Mia adds.

"Cool. OK. Let's go to the River Rat and take it from there. I'll swing by and pick you both up."

"SLAP!" Penelope says.

"Sounds like a plan!" Mia claps her hands happily.

We hang up.

I quickly get dressed in jeans, a loose fitting black shimmery shirt and a black designer blazer. Examining my fit in the mirror, I can barely tell I'm pregnant. It's only when I turn to my side that my baby bump appears. Staring head on, I blend in with all the rest to them. I add a layer of fire hose red lipstick, grab my sparkly, black clutch and head out the door.

                                                                                         ***

"Is this place lit or what?" I ask, surveying the room, looking for a certain someone.

"Oh, it's on and popping." Penelope stands at the door, shaking her butt to the music.

"Let's pick up a few games of pool, have some dranks." Mia turns to me, "Drinks for you." She turns back to Penelope. "And let's turn up and have some fun!"

"I'm down." Penelope dance-walks to an empty pool table, just as another group tries to go for the same table. "Taken!" She grabs a pool cue stick and rubs the tip with a cube of blue chalk.

"We'll take next," the unofficial spokesman of the group replies.

Penelope blows the excess dust off the pool stick in his direction.

The guy smiles at her saucy gesture and backs up. "Come on, let's get drinks while we wait."

The other guys follow his lead and leave.

Penelope nods her head. "That's right. Push on!"

I take a much-needed seat on a nearby stool, becoming a spectator as Mia and Penelope compete against one other.

Mia walks around the pool table, reaching into the pockets collecting pool balls. "Sometimes everything you need falls into your lap with minimal effort." She casually drops the eight ball. "Not every issue needs to be forced." She winks at me as she racks the balls with a wooden triangle.

"And you're telling me this why?" I ask.

Mia lifts the triangle and sets it aside. "Don't get all up in arms with me, I'm just saying." She stands up and holds her hands up. "No big deal, Sis." Mia positions herself to break the rack of pool balls, then she shoots her shot, scattering the balls across the table.

"Nothing is never nothing with that one." Penelope leans over the pool table, aiming her pool stick at a purple solid ball. "It's like she's got a direct line to the Universe, or something."

"True," I reply.

Mia shakes her head. "Honestly, it literally just came to mind."

"And that's the creepy part, Chica! She's not even aware of how in tune she is."

She's dead on. This isn't the first time I've heard that or a variation of it.

The image of Phoenix getting upset, of us arguing over Brooke, of him leaving in the middle of dinner replay in my mind.  "Play on. Play on, Ladies," I reply somberly.  

***********************************

Sometimes, it's the most random things people say that hit home the hardest. Often times they don't even know how timely their words of wisdom are. Mia is one of those people who just seems "tapped in." Do you have any friends like that?