Chapter 27 | Cat's Out the Bag

"We should all be so lucky to work for Mr

"We should all be so lucky to work for Mr. Prescott. A man of vision, compassion for the community and the bold spirit to move forward in spite of these most recent roadblocks." Ally turns to Phoenix. "The Common Council votes the first week in January. That gives us a full three weeks. With all hands on deck, we can turn this around, Mr. Prescott."

Travis Channing, head of the legal department, asks to speak. "I'm not so sure we can change hearts and mind in that short of time. After much digging and frankly poking the hornets' nest, we've come to the conclusion that the only obstacle we're facing to getting the site plans approved is Chase Duvall, the President of the Common Council. With all due respect, Mr. Prescott, he seems to have a personal vendetta against Prescott Realty. Last year he was on board with everything we planned to do at Windsor Court, but things are different now. He appears staunchly opposed to approving our plans, as if he's been incentivized against it or it simply doesn't serve his political interests or ambitions."

Duvall? That's Sebastian's family!

Phoenix looks down the long conference table, directly at me then turns to Travis. "And what exactly are Chase Duvall's political interests?"

"It appears he has his eyes set on becoming mayor, sir."

"And it wouldn't serve his political ambition to allow Windsor Court to move forward? That doesn't sound right, unless he has a bigger project lined up. Travis, do some digging and see if there is another project that could potentially rival us." Phoenix looks at Ally. "Ally, turn the heat up on marketing on Windsor Court. Have news of us getting ready to break ground hitting the airwaves everywhere, local news, radio, commercials, flyers." He turns to Candice Beall, head of Community Involvement. "Candace let's connect with local churches, schools and universities, set up carnivals, rallies, parent student nights, movie nights, anything to get the community excited about Windsor Court. We'll turn this into a community ask. The people will remind him of where his interests should lie." Phoenix looks over the entire room at all the teams. "I'll reach out to my people, do some poking around and see if we can't clear this out before the vote in January. Are there any other pressing issues holding up breaking ground on the Windsor Court project?" Phoenix looks around.

We all look around at each other. No one speaks up.

"OK, let's get to work!" He stands up and gives a girl I've never seen before his black leather briefing folder. He whispers something to her and she follows him out the room.

She's pretty.

Who the fuck is that? That's not his usual assistant.

I get up to follow Phoenix.

"Aria." Someone taps my shoulder.

I turn to find Ally standing behind me. "Leaving so soon? We've got work to do. You took notes?" Ally asks, her eyes ablaze.

I nod.

"Well, lets get to it. I want campaign ideas on my desk, end of day today. Got it?"

"Yes, of course. I'm on it." I head back to my desk, questions swirling in my mind.

Who is that girl? Where did she come from? Where's his usual assistant? I like her. How long has this girl been working with Phoenix? Why is he trusting her with briefing folder? That's all his important stuff.

********************************

Looks like Sebastian is rearing his ugly head, throwing kinks in Phoenix's plans. What does this mean? Is Sebastian over Aria? Or is this more about revenge?