Chapter 13: A New Beginning

Keishin Ukai waves everyone goodbye as he walks to his car. He comes up with a few different possible line ups for the season.

I definitely want Kageyama and Hinata in the line up, that's a given. That captain of theirs has phenomenal defense, and considering how many of our players need to work on their receives, we can't afford to have him out of the starting line up. We definitely want that beanpole with the glasses as our main middle blocker. What he lacks in motivation he makes up for with prodigy-like blocking skills and instinct. As for Y/N, maybe I can have him and Asahi switch out once per set since Asahi is still pretty timid and hasn't been playing for a while. Their attack power are fairly similar, but Asahi has more experience against high school players. Y/N is the only player besides Kageyama with a great jump serve, not to forget his solid defense.

"Well that settles that."

Friday after school

"Yo Y/N," Tanaka says. "Tomorrow we're gonna go watch a college volleyball game. Wanna come?"
"Sorry, I can't. I'm visiting my parents this weekend."
"You don't live with them?"
"No, I live with my aunt."
Tanaka seems to decide wether or not to press further but decides not to.
"Alright. See you Monday then."

Tokyo
Saturday, 7:30 am

Walking off the train, Y/N sees his dad waiting for him. It would be hard to miss him, as he stands at a towering 6'6" and weighing in at 212lbs of muscle. It's no mystery where Y/N's height and build came from, though his mother is no shorty either. This is made apparent when his mother stops next to his dad, a large cup of coffee in her hand. Though small in comparison to her husband, she measures in at a healthy 5'10".
"Hey you two!" Y/N says. "It's awesome to see you guys!"
"Welcome back, Y/N," M/N says. "It's good to see you too."
"Hey son." D/N says. "What do you say we get out of here?"
"Sounds like a plan."

Later That Day

"You're going down, old man!" Y/N says.
"I've been playing Street Fighter since before you were born!" D/N says.
"Boys, dinner!" M/N called from the kitchen.
"Almost finished, honey."
Just as D/N says that, he hits Y/N with the Seraphic Wing combo move with Gill, finishing Y/N off.
"Aww hell yeah!"
"That's bull!" Y/N shouts. "That's the cheesiest combo in the game. You got no skill, Dad!"
"As if," D/N says. "If I have no skill, why do I have more wins than you?"
"Because you always use Gill!"
Laughing on the way to the dinner table, the boys join M/N for dinner.
Y/N looks at the table, seeing his mom made sushi, fish tempura and unagi. Considering M/N is a pretty famous chef in Tokyo, it's no surprise that she makes amazing food. These types of dishes helped Y/N develop a healthy body and get lots of nutrients.
"Oh this looks amazing, Mom!"
"He's right honey," D/N adds. "You really outdid yourself."
"It's a special occasion," she says with a smile. "You expect me not to outdo myself?"
"Of course not." The boys say together.
The three of them put their hands together and close their eyes, saying "Thank you for the food."
"So Y/N, how has school been?" D/N asks.
"It's been amazing," Y/N says with a twinkle in his eyes. Taking a bite of his food, he continues, "I've made some awesome friends and joined the volleyball club. And I'm getting all A's."
Shocked, D/N asks, "You're playing volleyball again?"
Y/N takes this time to explain the events leading to this point, with most of the story revolving around his friendship with Hinata.
"I'm glad you're playing volleyball again, Y/N."
D/N says.
"Me too, Dad."

Sunday evening

At the train station, Y/N is walking with his parents, when Y/N says, "You guys have to come to the Spring Prelims this year and watch us play."
"You sure you want us there?" his dad says apprehensively. "That won't be too hard on you?"
"Not at all. I'd be happy to have you guys there."
After pondering this for a moment, D/N says, "We'll be there."

Short chapter again, I know. It's been a while since I wrote, so it's gonna take a bit to get back in a rhythm. Bear with me 😋
Do you guys like what I did with the positions?