Prologue - Escaping his shadow

For as long as he can remember, Y/N has loved volleyball. Despite his father pushing him too hard sometimes, his drive and determination to improve has stayed with him.

As a second year in middle school and already tall and skilled, he has a bright future in volleyball.

And today is a very important day. The final game of his second year. With his father, he arrives five minutes before the gym opens to get some practice in before the games start.

As odd as that may seem, its something Y/N and his dad have done before every game since his first tournament in elementary school at his rec league.

"Have you prepared, Y/N?" D/N asked his son.
"Of course dad." He replied with a smile. "I'm so excited. This is gonna be awesome!"
"You need to take this more seriously   Y/N." He said sternly. "This is the championship game, and I will not lose this."

D/N is not only the father of Y/N, but he's also his long time volleyball coach and the coach of his middle school team.
"Right," Y/N replied, lacking the excitement he had before. "I'm sorry."
It was at this moment that the doors were unlocked and they could enter.
"Be on the court in 3 minutes," D/N said.
"If you're late, you're sitting out for the first set." He wasn't worried he would lose without his son on the court because they had so much talent on the team, both starters and bench players.
"Yes sir." Y/N said unenthusiastically.

After getting ready, he looked at his phone and realized he only have 20 seconds to get to the court.
Sprinting at full speed, he slipped and fell because the floor was wet from a leaking water fountain. He got up as fast as he could and made it to the court, but was too late.
"You're five seconds late, Y/N." D/N said. You're benched for the first set. Now let's get to practicing."

30 minutes into practice

D/N set the ball for Y/N to spike the ball, and he hit it well, but it just barely went out. This has been happening for a while because Y/N landed on his elbows when he slipped and has been in a lot of pain since. He didn't tell his dad because it wouldn't make any difference.
"Dammit Y/N!" D/N yelled. "How many times are you gonna screw this up huh?! If you don't get it together I swear you'll never get to play volleyball again!"
He's been like this for a long time, and Y/N has gotten sick of it.
"You know what dad!" He screamed back. "You're right! I won't play volleyball ever again! I'm done with it! I stopped loving the game a long time ago! I've been verbally abused for years now, and I'm finished putting up with it!"
"What are you saying, Y/N? Are you quitting?"
Sounding eerily calm, Y/N responded with a simple, "Yes."

Thoughts?