VS Date Tech: Set 1

After an easy and uneventful first match, Karasuno prepares to face their next opponent.

"Who do you think we'll play?" Hinata asks.

"I have a hard time betting against Date Tech," Y/N says. "Only way we don't is if they lose their first match, which I don't see happening."

"Good point," Asahi says, looking more determined than nervous now. "We'll get our revenge today."

"That's the spirit, Asahi!" Noya says, slapping Asahi's back hard enough to make him stumble a bit.

"Alright guys," Ukai says. "We're playing Date Tech next. Time to get warmed up."

"Let's do this, guys," Y/N says. "We got this!"
Y/N holds his hand above his head and Hinata jumps and gives it a hard slap.

"Yeah!" He shouts.

On the court

"Y/N, Asahi!" Ukai calls out. "Come here for a second."

Y/N and Asahi jog over to him.

"What's up coach?" Y/N says.

"For this game, Asahi, I'm going to have you play the first set, and Y/N will play the second. If it goes to a third set, we'll make a decision based on how the game is going."

"Sounds good, Coach." Y/N. Asahi nods in agreement.

On the way back to the warm up lines, Asahi says, "I'm really nervous about this game after what happened last time."

"Yeah, I know what you mean," Y/N replies with a sigh. "My last tournament wasn't great either. But you got this. We've all got your back. Your problem was thinking you were all by yourself on the peak and that nobody is on the ground to cover for you. Just because you're the ace and we lean on you, that doesn't mean you can't lean on us too."

After letting Y/N's words sink in for a few seconds, Asahi says, "You're right. Let's do this."

"Everyone to your positions!" Ukai yells.

"Knock 'em dead, ace." Y/N says with a wink and light punch to Asahi's shoulder.

"You got it!"

A whistle sounds, and the game starts.

Daichi receives Date Tech's serve, sending it to Kageyama. Setting it to Hinata, he notices Takanobu Aone, the centerpiece of "The Iron Wall" running towards Hinata. Though Hinata is able to get a point, this series of events worried Ukai and the entire team. Only one other team was able to get to Hinata, and that was after a decent amount of game time.

"That kind of block was...a-a read block, right?" Takeda asked.

"That's right," Ukai said. "That kid's instincts and speed are going to be troublesome."

After some back and forth play with no real give, Kageyama told Hinata exactly what he'd been waiting to hear all day.

"I'm gonna need your fastest speed, and your highest jump."

"Alright!"

Date Tech serves, and Tanaka receives the ball cleanly, sending it straight to Kageyama. With Hinata already in the air, legs bent towards his back, arm cocked back, ready to swing, Kageyama sends a straight shot to Hinata's hand, already in a downward motion, timing it perfectly. With a loud smack and even louder thud, Karasuno gets a point.

Amidst the looks of shock, awe and confusion amongst the crowd and Date Tech, there's one person that stands out. Arms crossed and head held high, stood Y/N, the look on his face not very different from a father seeing his kid take their first steps.

Good job, boys. Make them fear you. Y/N thinks, a devilish smile of his face.

"What are you thinking about, you freak?" Ukai says.

"Don't call me that, old man!" Y/N yells.

"Don't call me an old man!"

"Focus on the game, you two." Kiyoko deadpans, shutting them up. Somehow, her quiet voice was able to cut through the loudness of the crowd.

After a botched serve from Hinata, Noya gets back into the game. Some back and forth scoring leaves the score at 7-5.

After Date Tech scores, putting the score at 7-6, Aone goes back to the front.

Date Tech's serve hits the net and just creeps over the net, where Noya manages to save it from hitting the ground. Kageyama bolts after the ball, turns his body at a near sixty degree angle, and sends the ball straight to Hinata for a point, silencing everybody.

Score: Karasuno 24 - Date Tech 23

"Timeout!" Ukai yells. Bringing the boys into a huddle, he lays out a plan to win the set. "Pull this off, and we can ride the momentum to win the next set easily. Got it?"

"Yes sir!"

Date Tech's serve is received by Daichi, who sends it to Hinata, who's spiked gets blocked by Date Tech, but Noya manages to save it, the ball heading towards Kageyama. Hinata, Tanaka, and Daichi all run full speed towards the net. Everyone zeroes in on Hinata, who swings his arm as hard as he could. Aone meets him at the summit, only for Hinata to hit nothing but air. Behind him, Asahi's form slowly comes into view, the lights behind him obstructing Aone's view. As he's falling, he stares helpless as Asahi smacks the ball as hard as he could. Aone feels the wind the ball caused go over his hands, hearing the boom resounding around the gym. Cheers from Karasuno and their supporters erupted.

"Set win, Karasuno!" The referee says.

Sorry for the long sabbatical. I hope these next few chapters make up for it 😅