Chapter 16: Conclusion

"Well that's new." Y/N says.
With the first set over, the boys huddle up with Ukai.

"Dammit!" Hinata yells.

"Just brush it off, Hinata," Ukai says. "We still have plenty of game left to play. You'll get your chance."

"Right!"

"Does anybody have any notes?" Ukai asks. "I'm asking because I wanna see if you guys have been paying attention to your opponents. Studying your opponents is important because then we can make adjustments without having to call a timeout. So does anyone have anything?"

"Their receives are solid all around," Y/N. "They've been able to receive my hardest spikes on a regular basis. They obviously worked on their technique a lot. Their movements are practiced and fluid. They don't waste much energy, so I think we should avoid a battle of attrition at all costs."

"My thoughts exactly," Ukai says. "Good eye. Let's get out there and win this set. Fly on three. One, two, three."

"FLY!"

I'm going to skip over all the parts that show Hinata's development.

This pattern repeated itself, with Hinata trying to aim his spikes, leaving his eyes open for the first time. Eventually, he gets an idea.
While up in the air, he turns his hand and hits the left side of the ball, causing it to go to around the blockers, heading towards the side line. The libero dives for it, missing completely, and the ball hits the ground. The referee gives the signal for an out.

"Out?!" Takeda yells. "Aaahhhh."

"One more." Hinata says.

That was close. Y/N thinks. Pretty smart move.

Timeskip brought to you by Kiyoko ignoring Tanka

The day ended with many games with nothing but L's on the scoreboard for Karasuno.

The next day, back at Karasuno

After hours of receiving practice, the boys are sitting down reading a magazine about high school volleyball.

"That's Ushiwaka," Tanaka says. "The number one ace in the prefecture."

"That's what an ace is supposed to look like." Daichi adds, sending a look Asahi's way.

"It's says here that he's 6'4," Hinata says. "Y/N, isn't that how tall you are?"

"Yeah," Y/N replies. "I guess I won't be the tallest one there anymore." He rubs the back of his neck and gives a half laugh.

Foreshadowing, anyone? 😏

"Do you think I can compete with him?" Y/N asks.

"For sure," Hinata says. "You're good enough to be on the Olympic team!"

"Okay, I'm not that good. My dad was on the Olympic team, and I'm nowhere near as good as he was. He taught me everything I know, but he's much better."

"Isn't your dad D/N?" Daichi asks.

"He is?" Kageyama adds.

"Yeah."

"Awesome!" Kageyama and Asahi yell at the same time.

"Can we meet him?" Kageyama asks. "I'm a huge fan!"

"He'll be at the prefectural prelims," Y/N says. "You can meet him there." This got a cheer from Kageyama and Asahi, who double high five each other.

After about half an hour of volleyball talk and people going into fan girl mode over Y/N's dad, everyone heads home.