Chapter 8 - The Great King

As Oikawa joins the game, Kageyama speaks up.

"That's Tooru Oikawa. He was on the Kitagawa First team when I was a first year."

So if he's above the King, that would make him the Great King?. Hinata thinks to himself.

"Hey Kageyama," Oikawa starts. "Long time no see."

Kageyama just turns away with annoyance, ignoring his former upperclassman.

"He's good," he says to the team. "I learned everything I know from him."

"Let's just get the set started man." Y/N says impatiently.

Both teams line up in their positions, poised for the final and match deciding set.

As the set starts, it's Kageyama's serve.
He tosses the ball up, jumps and hits it hard. It sails right towards the libero, who receives it cleanly.

All eyes are on Oikawa as he gets in position to get the pass from the libero in order to set.

Once he gets it, he jumps and sends the ball to Kindaichi, who slams the ball down, only for Y/N to dive and receive it.

"Nice save, Y/N!" Daichi shouts.

The ball goes to Kageyama, who thinks about where he should send it.

"Send it here!" Hinata yells from the left side.

Without a moments hesitation, Kageyama sends it directly to Hinata's hand. The ball hits the floor, prompting a cheer from Karasuno.

"Nice kill Hinata." Tanaka says.

Kageyama serves the ball, which heads towards Kindaichi. He bumps the ball to Oikawa, who gets ready to set the ball.

He sets it to Kunimi, who spikes it down for a point.

"Nice one Kunimi." Says Oikawa.

And with that, it's Oikawa's serve.

He tosses the ball up, and slams it hard, flying by everybody before they realized what was happening.

So fast. Daichi thinks to himself. And with such precision. This guy's a problem.

"I guess it's time to get serious, huh?" says Y/N.

Getting the ball back, Oikawa serves it up. Despite knowing what to expect, nobody was able to react fast enough, and with Y/N in the front right position, he wasn't back there to help with receiving it.

Oikawa serves two more times, making the score 5-1.

"Y/N," Dachi calls out. "Right before he serves again, switch places with Kageyama so you can help bolster our defense. But after you receive you need to get right back to the front."

"Yes sir."

As Oikawa gets ready to serve, Y/N and Kageyama get ready to switch places. When Oikawa serves, it goes towards the back right.
Y/N reacts almost instantly and receives it.

Oikawa tsks in annoyance.

"Nice receive."

Y/N runs towards the net and Kageyama sets it to him. Seeming to hang in the air, Y/N jumps to spikes.

Times seems to freeze for a second, and Y/N gives Oikawa a glare(the look Hinata gave him) and smashes it right at Oikawa. He tries to receive it, but it was so powerful that it bounced off his arms and sailed towards the girls that gathered to see Oikawa play. Luckily for the girls, it hit the rails.

Everyone on Seijo's side of the net, coaches and bystanders included, were left speechless.

"Nice kill Y/N," Tanaka yells. "Where was that from the beginning man?!"

"I knew they didn't have their official setter in, so I figured I'd lay off them for the time being."

"That's pretty reckless, Y/N." Daichi interjects.

"I know, it's just that I don't like going all out against a team that isn't going all out too."

"But you couldn't have known that wasn't their official setter." Hinata said.

"Sure I could," Y/N says. "He was adjusting to his hitters mid game. Their official setter wouldn't need to adjust at all. The best setters in the world know that in order to be a good setter you need to play for your teammates and know exactly what they all need in order to contribute to the best of their abilities, Kageyama." Y/N says, looking at Kageyama, getting a tsk from the boy. "Someone who hasn't worked with their team a lot is still learning their strengths. It was clear that he was still learning."

"When did you have the time to think about all that crap?!" Tanaka yells.

"I don't know." Y/N responds.

"I don't mean to interrupt," Oikawa says, interrupting. "But it's your serve and we have a game to play."

"Oh shut it Shittykawa, we're working on it." Y/N says, causing Tanaka to laugh so hard he falls down.

"Shittykawa! Ahahaha!"

Daichi reaches up and pushes Y/N's head down. "I'm sorry about him."

"No worries," Oikawa says, putting up an "ok" sign with his hand.

"It's my serve now, isn't it?" Y/N says.
"Let's do this."

Y/N gets ready to serve and looks directly at Oikawa and points at him. Oikawa's eyes widen in surprise.

Y/N tosses the ball up and approaches the ball. He leaps up and smacks the ball hard.

The ball sails right towards Oikawa, who gets ready to receive it. It bounces off of his arms and sails out of bounds.

"Alright!" Y/N yells.

"Nice serve, Y/N!" The team says.

Y/N gets the ball back to serve again and looks at the score.

5-3 huh? He thinks to himself. Time for the counterattack.

Y/N serves again, getting another point. He continues getting service aces until Seijo is finally able to receive it.
The score now being 5-9 in Karasuno's favor, causing some irritation from Oikawa.

Those serves have cost us to lose our ground and momentum. He thinks. We need to get these points back.

He gets in position to set to someone, sending it to Kindaichi, who get blocked by Hinata, causing the ball to sail into the air.

"One touch!" He yells out. The ball starts to sail out of bounds, Y/N giving chase. He dives and saves the ball.

"Nice save Y/N!" Daichi yells.

The ball goes straight to Kageyama with scary accuracy, who sends it to Tsukishima for a quick attack. He hits it, but it gets hit into the air, sailing right towards their libero, who bumps it to Oikawa.

Three spikers run towards the net at once. As the Karasuno team scrambles to react, Oikawa does a setter dump before anyone is able to react.

"A setter dump?!" Tanaka exclaims.

"Looks like the game is finally getting interesting." Y/N says with a smile on his face.

Sorry this took so long. Had some stuff going on and I had to think a lot about where I was gonna go with this chapter and the story going forward.
Thanks for hanging in there 😋