Chapter 17: The Prefecturals Approach

Coach Ukai is standing at the whiteboard in the gym with some drawings on it, the boys gathered around him.

"Asahi, we're gonna try to get you some back row attacks. Kageyama, I've seen you do a couple back row attacks with Y/N, but they were sloppy and only worked because he's a freak of nature."

"Oh come on, man!" Y/N shouts.

"It'll take some work and a lot of adjustments," Ukai continues, ignoring Y/N's outburst. "But it'll all be worth it as it'll add some more variety to our offense."

"Got it." Kageyama says.

"Let's get to work!"

Kageyama and Asahi work on their back row attack while Hinata works with Sugawara on their quick attack. The upperclassman are finding it hard to keep up with the younger boys' energy and enthusiasm, which is made evident by Asahi shrinking away from Kageyama's questions.

Meanwhile, Y/N, who has a worried look on his face, is seemingly lost in thought. He's then approached by Coach Ukai, who just finished his conversation with Takeda.

"What's goin through your head, kid?"

"I'm just thinking about the prelims," Y/N says. "It'll be my first tournament since my second year of middle school."

"So you're pretty nervous, huh?" This gets a nod from Y/N. "You'll be fine. You've got your whole team with you and you've got the talent to keep up with the best. I doubt there's anyone that can compete with your talent."

"It's not that I don't think I have the ability, it's just that I don't have the best experiences with tournaments. You see, when I was in middle school, I was the star of the team that my father coached. He had huge expectations of me because he's a former pro volleyball player and was on the Japan national team. He pushed me hard every step of the way, and I got tired of it and quit. He is going to be at the prelims and I want to make him proud. It's just a lot of pressure, you know?"

"I understand where you're coming from," Ukai says. "But if anybody can handle it, I know you can. And if you need to talk about it more, you can talk to me, okay?"

"Thanks, old man." Y/N says with a smile.

"You little punk!" Ukai yells, running at Y/N.

Y/N laughs as he gets chased around the gym. This kind of friendship was one of the things he missed most about volleyball, so having it back made him extremely happy.

Timeskip

Y/N and Hinata are sitting on the floor with some papers and pencils. Y/N has been tutoring him in order to keep him eligible to play.

Once again, Hinata is frustrated with the work. Meanwhile, Y/N is perfectly calm and keeping Hinata focused.

"Relax, man." Y/N says. "Once you get the hang of it, it'll be smooth sailing. Just work hard and you'll get it. If you work half as hard at this as you do volleyball, you'll get it no time at all."

"You're right," Hinata replies. "But volleyball is fun. This is boring. It's not the same."

"If you don't get this down, you won't be able to play volleyball."

Exasperated, Hinata gathers himself and gets back to work, finishing his homework.

"Now," he says, jumping up. "Time for volleyball!"

"Hell yeah!" Y/N shouts.

"Hey, Hinata!" Sugawara shouts. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Hey, Suga. What's up?"

Suga then hands him a sheet of paper with diagrams and drawings of hand signs.

Timeskip because we all know this convo

Hinata and Y/N work with Suga for a while memorizing hand signals. Once practice ends,
Y/N goes home and takes a long shower, thinking over everything that's happened lately and where things are heading.

After a heart to heart with himself, he lays down in bed and quickly drifts off into sleep.

Motivation has been lacking lately. Sorry. I'll get around to these when I can