Chapter 18: Arrival

As the team arrives to the building and walk in, they hear some guys make some comments about their less than flattering nickname.

"What did you say?!" Tanaka says, confronting the two boys. "How about I-" he gets cut off by Daichi pushing his head into a bow.

Bowing his head as well, he apologizes and makes a comment about getting a leash for Tanaka, then return to the group.

All around them, people are commenting on their intimidating nature, wether it's intentional or not.

Bashful about his inaccurate reputation, Asahi retreats into himself a bit while Daichi and Suga chuckle at his misfortune.

"I'm a taller guy," Asahi explains. "Why wouldn't I want to look tough and wild?"

"Tough and wild guys never say stuff like that." Daichi says.

"Who cares how you look?!" Nishinoya says.

Each touching one of Noya's shoulders, Daichi and Suga say in unison, "This is wild."

Lagging behind the rest of the boys are the three first years that seem to be at the center of trouble at all times. Y/N, the quiet de facto leader. Kageyama, the aggressive and angry tsundere of a setter. And last but certainly not least is Hinata. The orange haired ball of energy.

"That's the King of The Court, Tobio Kageyama from Kitagawa First." This earns a glare from the boy in question.

"Woah!" Someone exclaims in whisper mixed with a shout. "That guy is huge."

They're of course referring to Y/N, who stands at 6'4" with a muscular build not usually seen on a boy his age, it's understandable why they would be intimidated. With a calm expression, he oozes confidence and it's clear to see he's not your average player.

"We need to watch out for him."

"Agreed."

"Wow!" Hinata exclaims. "There's so many people."

"It's just like I remember it," Y/N adds. "I haven't been here since middle school."

"This place is amazing."

"Yeah, it's pretty damn cool."

"Will you two hurry up?!" Kageyama says.

"Relax will ya?" Y/N says. "It's his first time at a serious gym like this one. Let him enjoy it. Besides, the court isn't open for practice for another half hour anyways. We have time to roam."

"Tsk, whatever."

"I'm going to hit the restroom," Y/N says to Hinata. "Be back in a minute."

When Y/N returns and rejoins the others, he sees a white haired boy pointing at Asahi. Y/N could see the ace was bothered by it, so he slowly approaches him and puts his hand on his shoulder.

Leaning down and with a murderous look in his eyes, Y/N says, "What's your deal? You making trouble for my upperclassman?"

"Dammit Y/N!" Daichi says. "Stop picking fights!"

"He's the one targeting Asahi. As his friend and teammate, it's my obligation to make sure he's okay."

"Picking fights isn't the way to do that," Daichi counters, pushing Y/N's head down. "I'm sorry about him. He can be a little gung ho sometimes."

"No, it's our fault," the Date Tech captain says. "I shouldn't have let him wander off on his own. He has a habit of picking out the ace from each team."

With that, the two captains led their teams away from one another to avoid an all out brawl.

Short chapter, I know. Please cut me some slack. Should I skip the first match since it's uneventful and kinda boring? I'm thinking so, because I got writers black because of this specific match so 🤷‍♂️😬