Chapter 4 -An Encounter With The King

Y/N and Hinata were waiting to talk to the volleyball club's faculty advisor to sign up. For the past 20 minutes, Hinata has been talking     Y/N's ear off, but he didn't mind because he enjoyed hearing the stories.

He just finished telling Y/N about how his middle school years went when it came to volleyball, from practicing with the girls and getting together a rag tag team.

"We just barely qualified for the tournament and our first match was against Kitagawa First," Hinata continued. "They had this guy called 'The King of the Court' who was a genius setter but was really scary."

Hinata paused before saying, "We lost both sets badly. But now that I'm gonna have a bunch of big and awesome teammates, I'll finally be able to beat him."

Hinata smiled up at Y/N, causing him to smile back.
"You know it," Y/N exclaimed to his new friend. "He doesn't stand a chance."

Time skip brought to you by chibi Y/N carrying chibi Hinata on his shoulders.

Y/N and Hinata are racing towards the gym at breakneck speed before Hinata pulls ahead at the last second right before stopping in his tracks when he enters the gym. Y/N jumps clear over him to avoid colliding with him.

Y/N jumps up to yell at Hinata, but he yells before Y/N could even open his mouth.

"You're here too?!" He yells to a raven haired boy attempting a jump serve. This distracts him and causes the ball to hit him on the head.

"We met last year," the boy said. "I dont remember your name."

"Hinata," Y/N says. "Who is this guy?"

"Tobio Kageyama," Hinata replied. "The King of the Court." This comment irked Kageyama, causing a visible reaction.

"Don't call me that." He told Hinata.

"What are you doing at Karasuno?" Hinata. "Why not go to a bigger school?"

"I applied for the number 1 school," Kageyama started. "They turned me down."

"Why would they turn down the King of the Court?" Hinata asked.

"I said don't call me that!"

It was then that 3 boys in matching black jackets entered the gym.
One of the boys had brown hair and eyes, pretty muscular and exuded authority, so Y/N assumed he was the captain of the team. He was fairly tall, but still well under 6 feet.
A silver haired boy stood next to him at about the same height, a slender body and hazel eyes.
The third had a shaved head and was a couple inches taller than the other two. He had a look on his face that Y/N assumed was supposed to be intimidating, but it just came off as goofy.

"You must be the first years," the brown haired kid said.

"Yeah," Y/N said. "That's us."

"Show him some respect, punk!" The baldy said, who received a slap to the back of the head by the brunette.

"Sorry about him you guys," he said. "Tanaka is a second year and is a little too excited about having underclassmen on the team."

"Don't worry about it." Y/N replied. "He's right. Sorry for the disrespect."

"Anyways, my name is Daichi Sawamura, the captain of the team," he said. "The delinquent looking one with the big mouth is Ryūnosuke Tanaka."

"And I'm Sugawara Koushi," the silver haired boy added. "I'm vice captain and a third year here at Karasuno. Nice to meet you all."

"My name is Y/N L/N," Y/N started.

"I'm Shoyou Hinata, sir." He said bowing.

"I'm Tobio Kageyama."

"Y/N," Tanaka called out. "You're damn tall. What position do you play?"

"Wing spiker and middle blocker." Y/N replied.

"Ohhh," Tanaka replied, playfully mocking him. "Gunning for my spot, huh?"

"Nah, I'm just looking to play."

Unbeknownst to them, Hinata and Kageyama were having a conversation of their own, albeit much less friendly.

We all know where this argument goes so I'll be skipping over it.

After Daichi kicked them out and explained the conditions for their return, the rest of the team were taken aback.

"Was that necessary?" Y/N asked.

"We can't have a functional team without players who can play together. Otherwise we're just asking to lose all of our games."

"Good point." Y/N replied.
I wonder how this'll turn out. He thought to himself.

Should I make Y/N a back up or have him take one of the starters? If so, which one?