Chapter 5 - A Formidable Ally

The day of the practice game to decide future of the club has finally arrived, and Y/N and Hinata were running to school at full speed.

After weeks of these sprints to school every day, Y/N has built his stamina up to extreme levels, but still nowhere near Hinata's level. To be fair, Y/N couldn't imagine anybody ever accomplishing that.

The school day passes far too slowly for the boys' tastes, but it ends eventually and Hinata practically flew out if their classroom.

Y/N didn't think he'd reach that level of excitement for volleyball any time soon,
but he was excited nonetheless.

Upon reaching the gym, Y/N wonders who's playing in the game. He assumed he was but it dawns on him that Daichi hadn't announced the teams yet.

"Ah, Y/N," Daichi says as Y/N enters the gym. "I need to speak to you."

"Sure thing, Captain." Y/N

"You're going to be teamed up with Tsukishima and Yamaguchi. You'll be going up against Kageyama, Hinata and Tanaka. I talked to Sugawara and we both decided I'd sit out this game so that we can see you play as well."

"Sounds great." Y/N says with a grin.

With all players warmed up and ready to play, the game begins.

Smack! Tanaka spikes the ball hard against Tsukishima's hand and it bounces out.

Tanaka starts swinging his shirt around and yelling.

"Put your shirt on!" Suga shouts.

With the score now 2 - 2, its Kageyama's serve.

Tossing the ball high in the air, Kageyama jogs and jumps, hitting the ball towards the back line on the left corner. Yamaguchi starts to back off, assuming its going out, but Y/N noticed the downward trajectory as its falling.

"Yamaguchi it's in!" He yells.

Luckily, Yamaguchi reacted quickly enough to get an arm under it but it popped up, going behind him.

Seemingly with super human speed,
Y/N sprints after it, dives and gets a hand under it, allowing Yamaguchi to bump the ball to Tsukishima, who bumps it back as Y/N is getting up.

Quickly, Y/N runs towards the front line.

"Give it to me!" Y/N shouts.

Hearing this, Yamaguchi sets it to the far left with Y/N getting close.

"Oh no," says Yamaguchi. "It's too high."

Y/N jumps as high as he can, right arm back and feet up towards his back, his form perfect. He swings his arm down, using his long arm like a whip, and spiking the ball so hard it ripples on the ground before flying halfway towards the ceiling before coming back down.

Everybody stands there, speechless at the display Y/N put on. Even Kiyoko, who is usually as stoic as they come, has her mouth hanging open and eyes wide.

"Aww yeeeeaaahhhh!" Tanaka yells.

"How did you jump so high?" Kageyama asked in amazement.

Hinata didn't really say anything. He just stood there with a big smile on his face.

"What are we just standing around for?" Tsukishima says, void of emotion. "We still have a game to play."

Y/N's team has trouble receiving Kageyama's serves because he kept targeting Tsuki. They managed to win the first set due to the blocking power of Tsukishima and Y/N. The score was 25-21.

Second set starts with Y/N's team leading 8-2, with Yamaguchi serving.

Yamaguchi serves, but the ball sails right into the net, earning a sigh from Tsuki.

"Don't worry about it Yamaguchi," Y/N says. "You'll get it next time."

"Thanks Y/N."

After 3 more blocks, Tsukishima got more talkative. He'd throw jabs at Hinata about his height and Tanaka being too loud.

But he did his best work against Kageyama. Always king this and king that.

"Why don't you throw him one of your king tosses?" He said.

"Shut up." Kageyama said, seething.

"Yo Hinata," Tsuki started. "You know why they call him the King of the Court?"

"Because he's so awesome that all the other teams are scared to play him?"

"No," he replied. "It's because he was a dictator on the court. But now look at him," he says with a sneer. "He's just a king that was abandoned by his own people."

This set Kageyama off to a degree Y/N couldn't even comprehend. He could feel the murderous intent oozing from the young setter, just begging to be unleashed.

This seemed to start a chain of events that brought Hinata and Kageyama close to finally breaking new grounds as teammates. And it seems they've finally reached that point.

After a few words from Sugawara, Kageyama grabbed Hinata and whispered something in his ear. Not knowing what would follow, Y/N became on edge.

He had a feeling that things were going to change. He didn't know how he knew, just that he did.

On the next play, it was Y/N's serve, so he tossed the ball up and hit it right towards Tanaka who received it cleanly.
He bumped it to Kageyama. Tsuki and Y/N then followed Hinata to the right, but right as they got set to block, he changed direction on a dime and bolted for the other side. Seeing this, Y/N tried to catch him, but he couldn't get there anywhere near fast enough. Despite being incredibly fast, he paled in comparison to Hinata's near superhuman speed.

Everyone stopped, and Y/N was shocked to say the least. The ball seemed to teleport from Kageyama's hands to Hinata's.

"He did that with his eyes closed," Daichi said in amazement.

"Whaaaaaat?" everyone yelled.

Kageyama and Hinata continued to use this move, and every time Tsuki and Y/N caught up to Hinata, Kageyama sent the ball to Tanaka.

Hinata and Kageyama's team won the next 2 sets, sealing their win and their places on the team.

"I've got to admit," Daichi said. "I didnt think you two could pull it together so quickly."

"I knew they'd figure it out." Y/N cut in. "Hinata just has that affect on people." This caused Hinata to smile.

"Thanks Y/N." Hinata said.

"Well it's late, so let's get out of here." Daichi said.

"Meat buns on me!" Y/N exclaimed. His aunt has been giving him an allowance for helping around the house. It wasn't much, but mixed with the savings from his birthdays, he had some money to blow.

"Alright!" Tanaka yelled.

Did I do a good job with the action sequences?