Chapter 7: Aoba Johsai Pt.2

"What about Y/N?" Hinata asked.

"He'll be playing right wing spiker, with Tanaka on the left." Daichi says.

"Cool," Y/N says. "Guess I'll use my left hand."

"I thought you were right handed." Hinata says.

"I'm actually left handed but I've been practicing with my right."

This was shocking to everyone.

"So you have all that power in your weaker hand?" Kageyama asks in amazement.

"Yup."

"That works out really well," Daichi says. "Opposing blockers will have a tough time adjusting to your left hand."

"You're still surprising me." Suga says with a smile.

"Alright, enough chit chat," Daichi says. "Let's get some practice in. We'll start with receives, then spikes and blocks."

"Yes sir!" Everyone yelled in unison.

Next Tuesday

"Alright everybody," Daichi started. "On the bus."

After loading up the bus, the team heading out. About halfway there, they stopped because Hinata puked on Tanaka from nervousness.

At Aoba Johsai

"And I hear they have a guy who looks like a juvenile delinquent. He's got a shaved bald head and he seems pretty stupid."
Tanaka, Kageyama, Tsukishima, and Yamaguchi overhear a kid from Aoba Johsai talking about the team.

"Hmmm?" Tanaka appears from around the corner with the others.

"Oh, hello."the boys says, startled by the sudden appearance.

"Don't mock my team, bro," Tanaka continues. A flock of crows appear behind them and fly off. "We'll have your heads."

"Come on Tanaka, there's no need to talk like that," Tsuki says. "I mean look what you've done. The hot shots from Aoba Johsai High School are practically shaking in their boots."

"You idiots really think we're afraid of you?" says the dark haired boy whose head is shaped like an onion.

"Oh yeah, good thinkin," Tanaka replied. "It'll hurt worse if we kick their asses on the court instead."

Daichi pops up from around the corner and yells, "Hey, knock it off! I can't take you anywhere."

Bowing his head and pushing Tanaka's down, he apologizes and the team goes to the gym.

Timeskip to the first set

Throughout the first set, Hinata was making a lot of mistakes and it was hard for Y/N to get into a rhythm because of the constant scoring from Aoba Johsai.

At match point, Hinata was up to serve and he hit Kageyama in the head.

We all know how this conversation went

At the beginning of the second set, after Tanaka's powerful speech, everyone was ready to blow Aoba Johsai out of the water.

Y/N serves and the second set begins.

The ball gets spiked towards Tsuki, who receives it, sending it to Kageyama.

Seeing his opportunity, Hinata runs, jumps, and swings his arm, but the ball sails over his head.

"Sorry," Kageyama says to Hinata. "That set was too high."

This one comment threw onion head off his game. After being Kageyama's teammate for three years, he'd gotten used to him blowing up and bossing people around. He'd never once heard Kageyama apologize for anything.

On the next play, it was Seijo's serve. They send it straight to Y/N, who receives cleanly. The ball pops into the air, going right towards Kageyama.

Hinata bolts towards the net from the left side, jumps as high as he can, then slams the ball down for his first spike in a high school game.

"Alright!" the duo yells.

"Hinata, Kageyama, come here." Daichi calls over. The team huddles up and cheers. After this, the entire team got into a groove.

Y/N only got the ball a few times through the second set, but he got a lot of blocks and one-touches.

Before the third set, Y/N and the others heard screams from the girls in the crowd that nobody knew they had.

The subject of the excitement was some guy still in his athletic jacket, and by the looks of everyone's faces and the way he carried himself, Y/N knew he was their captain.

"Welcome back, Oikawa," Seijo's coach said. "That leg feeling okay?"

"Never better." Oikawa replies, putting his hand in an "ok" sign.

What a tool. Y/N thinks to himself.

"Good," the coach continued. "Go get warmed up."

"Already did," Oikawa replied. "I'm ready to go in."

"Okay then. Go on, but don't go and get yourself hurt again."

"You got it."

I'm having Oikawa come in for the whole 3rd set to add some more drama and give Y/N his opportunity to shine for a set.
Sorry this took so long. Got other things going on right now, but I'll try to update ASAP. Thanks