Chapter 9 - The Game Gets Interesting

After the setter dump, it's Kindaichi's serve. He hits it right to Tsuki, who receives it, sending it to Kageyama. Kageyama looks around the court to see who's open.

Do I give it to Y/N for a back attack, or give it the Hinata?

He decides to send it to Hinata, and Seijo's libero receives it, passing to Oikawa. Oikawa sets to Kindaichi, who spikes it, getting a one touch from Hinata.

The ball sails towards Y/N who sends it to Kageyama, who gets a look and nod from Y/N.

He sends it to Y/N, who jumps up, winds his arm up, and slams it right over the blockers' hands, getting a point. This causes irritation from the blockers, because they can't get up as high.

"Nice kill, Y/N." The team says.

After the rotation, it's Kageyama's serve. After getting a whistle from the ref, he tosses it up and hits it towards Kindaichi. He passes to Oikawa, who passes it to the middle blocker, who scores off of a quick attack.

"Damn it." Kageyama says. He was counting on getting a few service aces.

Timeskip

The score is now 24-22 in favor of Seijo. It's Oikawa's serve and Karasuno has Hinata and Tsukishima in the back row, so their receives are at a weak point at this point.

Damn it. We need to get some points back, but this rotation is weaker at receives. What are we going to do? Daichi thinks.

Oikawa tosses the ball up and hits it towards Hinata, who tries to receive it, but it goes off his arms and hits his face, the ball sailing backwards.

Karasuno's team collectively stands frozen in fear.

Y/N is the only one not frozen, so he runs towards where the ball is sailing. He dives and saves it. Daichi is out of his trance, so he sprints towards it and hits it towards Kageyama.

Kageyama sends it back over the net. Oikawa receives and passes to Kindaichi who spikes it, but gets a one touch from Tsuki. Y/N bumps the ball to Kageyama, who sends it right back to him, the ball going a little low. Y/N adjusts so instead of hitting it over the blockers, he decides to just hit the ball through their arms. (Same way Asahi did.)

"Alright!" Hinata yells. "Great job Y/N."

"Thanks." He replies.

Oikawa stands there, shocked. I haven't seen anyone do that since... He stops his train of thought right there, deciding instead to focus on the game.

It's now Y/N's serve. After getting a whistle from the referee, he tosses the ball up and hits it towards the back row. The ball had a perfect top spin, causing the it to sail downwards, hitting just inside the line, getting a point. The game is now tied.

Y/N gets a service aces once again, giving Karasuno the lead.

"Great job Y/N." Daichi says.

"Thanks cap." Y/N responds.

He gets ready for another serve, with the game on the line.

It was at this point that Y/N had a flashback to when he was training with his dad.

"Remember Y/N," he starts. "When your team has match point and it's your serve, everything is on your shoulders. If you screw up, you'll lose momentum and disappoint your whole team. Failure in this situation is not an option.

Y/N hears a whistle from the ref, snapping him out of his flashback.
He was panicking at the moment, and couldn't focus on the game. This nervousness got to him, and when he served, the ball sailed right into the net, surprising everyone. They've never seen him do this before.

Y/N's vision gets blurry and he gets dizzy.

We're going to lose and it's all my fault. They're going to to hate me for this. I won't be able to play anymore. He starts to panic and collapses, covering his face.

Hinata runs towards Y/N and puts his hand on his shoulder.

"Y/N are you okay?" He asks with concern on his face.

"We're going to lose and its all because of me."  Y/N says.

"We're tied," Hinata says, dumbfounded by the situation. "There's still a chance of winning the game. It's nowhere near over."

"But we lost our momentum."

"That hasn't stopped us before." Hinata points out.

Y/N looks up towards Hinata, finally coming back to his senses.

"You're right," he says. "Something my dad said once got trapped in my mind for a second there. He was wrong though."

"Alright then. Let's get that point back okay?" Hinata says with a smile.

"Yeah." Y/N says with determination in his eyes.

Oikawa serves again, and hits the ball towards Y/N, who receives it cleanly.

"Kageyama!" He calls out, sending it to him.

Time slows in his mind for a moment and looks at the other side of the net, seeing an opening in their defense. They are too focused on the front row to notice  Y/N coming up for a back row attack.

Kageyama sets it to him, and he slams it down, getting a point. Karasuno cheers.

After that point, the rotation switched to the second best rotation for them. Hinata and Tanaka are in front, with Daichi, Y/N and Tsukishima in the back row, with Daichi serving. This formation gives up some blocking power since it puts Tanaka up front, but he's still good enough to not be a liability. It really gives a lot of attack power, since all three of their strongest spikers are on the court.

If only these guys know how to do synchronized attacks. Y/N thought.

He serves it and the ball sails towards the front of the net on the other side, causing the libero to dive for it. He saves it, the ball going towards Oikawa. He sets it to Kunimi, who hits the ball, only for Hinata to get a one touch. The ball goes towards Y/N, who sends it to Kageyama, who gets ready for a set.

Kindaichi follows Hinata's movements and prepares for the quick attack. Right before Hinata jumps, he changes direction, heading to the opposite side if the court. Kindaichi reacts, but it's too late. The ball gets to Hinata, and hits it right past Oikawa, getting the final point Karasuno needed to win.

Karasuno cheers as the ref signals for game end.

"Thank you for the game." Both teams say, bowing.

Y/N walks to Hinata and the two walk out together, catching up to Kageyama.

"You guys were awesome today." Y/N said to the setter and spiker.

"Thanks." They both said.

Once they get on the bus, Y/N immediately falls asleep.

Hey guys. Thanks for all the reads and votes. I really appreciate it. Thanks for hanging in there. I know I only put out a chapter about once every 6 or 7 days, but I promise I'm still committed to this story. I'm probably going to keep writing this until it goes to the end of where the anime cuts off. I hope you guys manage to stick around that long lol. Anyways, thanks again and I hope you enjoyed. If you have an criticism, feel free to leave it on the paragraph you talk about.