Arise From the Ashes, O' Fallen Soldier Pt. 4

Kakashi opened his eyes and saw calming green walls and white ceilings. There was a vase on his side table that seemed to be made of plastic.

It was silent.

The world was silent.

His head was silent.

He looked out the window and saw patients in white in the yard. A woman was pushing an old man in a wheelchair.

"You're awake." Kakashi startled a bit. He hadn't noticed Aizawa sitting there.

"You gave us all a good scare."

"Why... am I alive?" Kakashi asked, feeling too numb to do much of anything else. His torso ached with a wound that should've killed him.

"I couldn't let you die."

"...Why?"

"Because-" Aizawa cut himself off when his voice cracked. "I care about you." He finished.

"Then you should've let me die." Kakashi said. His voice was blank as a sheet of paper. Kakashi had always wondered if stepping in when someone was about to end their own life was the "better" thing to do. Now he had the opposite perspective.

Aizawa winced. "Obito wanted to see you... but now that you're awake, I don't know where he's gone."

Kakashi buried the ache in his heart at Aizawa's words. He didn't think he could handle seeing Obito now or for a long time.

Kakashi shut his eyes and lay back.

There's no way to save someone who doesn't want to be saved.

And Kakashi always knew his salvation would be 6 feet under. It didn't matter how many delays there would be, sooner rather than later, he'd be able to see his family again.

Fin.

That's... it. Wow.

I'm gonna be honest and say I don't like how this ending turned out, some of you may hate it. It's meant to be ambiguous but to be honest I just got tired.

Anyway, that's the end! That's really it! I'm so surprised I actually got this finished. I doubt I'm gonna do anything more on this because it's been well over a year since I first published this story and I don't really feel like continuing it at all. But thank you all so much for everything during this time. The year has been hard but I'm really thankful I had all of you!

Reading through your comments always makes me laugh, so thank you for that as well.

I'm not really sure what to say... this is my first really long fic so I don't really feel like this is real yet.

This fic has a lot of problems, looking back on it, but it'll still always be really special to me thanks to all of you!

I'm gonna take a bit of a break for a little while just to recuperate and come up with ideas for my other fanfiction.

Last note, thank you to my beta for a short time, Arkoor. You're one of my motivations in finishing this, so thank you.

WC: 109854
Pg. Count: 397

(June 11, 2020 - September 12, 2021)

That's everything, folks.
 - Freddie