Part 3 - Prologue

I don't think it's fitting to put one of the house blueprint picture thingies after this, so I won't.

          Red Ice          

Kakashi's life is like figure skating across ice with people trailing behind him.

Sometimes the ice thins, and as he skates onwards, the other people plunge into the cold water that lies just below.

Sometimes the ice is thicker than normal, which is where new people will replace the ones who've fallen.

Soon, the ice thins again, and as his skates grate against the ice, the surface behind him cracks and the skaters fall in again.

Kakashi wonders when he'll trip and hit the ice.

He wonders when he'll drown, like everyone else.

He wonders if, when he falls, as he feels the cold seeping into his bones and the water drenching his clothes, he'll see them frozen in the ice too.

Will he even be able to find them?

Even so, he never once looks back at the people or towards the ice.

He keeps his eyes ahead, watching the endless sunset before him.

If the sun ever does set fully, he muses, what color will the moon be?

Will it be the blood red he fears?

White as it always has been?

Will it resemble the eye that plagues his nightmares?

Will there even be a moon at all?

He has no way of knowing, so he keeps skating, forever fearing the chilling darkness that lays just below the ice he's rushing across.