Chapter 5 - Sports Festival

The room was tense with worry, all the children were doing what they could to ease their nerves, then there was Kakashi, Todoroki and Bakugou, who looked like they couldn't give less of a fuck if they tried.

Kakashi was reading porn, and would occasionally giggle then show something to Todoroki, who would blush and tell Bakugou, who would fume and start cursing at Kakashi and Todoroki.

Todoroki, while also checking Kakashi's book from time to time, was examining his nails, which had been painted light blue, and had the word "ice" written across both his nails in glittery, gray writing.

Bakugou, while also cursing at the other two, was looking through something on his phone. Sometimes his eyes would widen and he would scribble something down and put it in his bag.

"Class! We will be entering soon! Prepare yourselves!" Iida pushed the door open so hard it left a dent on the wall it hit.

Any attempt to calm nerves was fruitless as the class walked onto the court in front of everyone, thousands of people were watching, cheering, scrutinizing.

Yet, through all this, Kakashi, Bakugou, and Todoroki were acting as calm as ever, Bakugou even more calm than usual.

They scanned their surroundings, and from the back of their line, Midoriya was pretty sure that he heard Kakashi scoff of all things. He was actually disappointed.

Well, Midoriya supposed, he isn't called Hatake the Enigma for no reason.

~~~

Kakashi wasn't a man who expected much, but when they announced the Sports Festival as a National event, he sort of expected more people to show, or at least for it to be made a bigger deal. As far as he'd seen, there was no extra merchandise being sold, no Yuuei shaped stuffed animals, or Nezu action figures, something he learned was typical of events like this.

This brought him back to his time in the Chunnin exams. Ah, good times.

Since he came first in the entrance exams, he was expected to give a speech, which he thought was bullshit. He couldn't just pull talk-no-jutsu speeches out of his ass! Who did they think he was? Naruto?

So, there he stood, staring out at all the stupidly naive children who thought this was all for fun. At least the children in the Gen. Ed course and class B were taking this a little more seriously. To the 1-A students, this was just another event, though most of them tried to convince themselves that they had something to prove. The only ones who actually seemed to care were those who had something riding on this.

So, he made a declaration. He cleared his throat, and put away his book. "Those who say life is up to luck have been unlucky. Life is up to talent and effort. You want to make statements? Fine. Then come here ready to prove it, or I'll beat you into next week. Who knows, maybe next year I'm not going to be the one standing on this stage, telling you that you're all weak, maybe next year it'll be one of you. But that's not luck. That's not raw talent. That's skill." Kakashi stuck his hands in his pockets and walked off the stage. The crowd erupted in applause, and Bakugou was grinning like a maniac.

"You crazy fucker. Did you really just compose that shit on the spot?"

"Of course I did. I don't just carry motivational speeches around in my pocket. Oh! Would you look at that! A small child who needs inspiring! Let me just look through my flashcards and find a speech that would work!" Kakashi deadpanned.

"You smug little bastard."

"Thank you dear." Kakashi grinned.

Midoriya spluttered weakly from their exchange. He'd likely never seen someone stand up to Bakugou- Oh sorry, Kacchan and live to tell the tale.