Chapter: 16

They are spending a total of five long summer days in Omashu. All-day Ryu, Toph, and Katara walks around the city shopping, getting messages or in the spa, acting as nothing happened, none of them brought forward what happened back in the tribe, neither did Ryu, she decided it is best for her if she just plays along, this is getting too ugly too fast.

But then the terrifying night comes with its darkness, Ryu never was afraid of dark till now, maybe because darkness brings him with. Escaping being alone with him is much harder than Ryu expected. It's not like she can ask to be in an indifferent room without creating a scandal that will spread like fire.

She makes sure to leave the room before he even wakes up, then makes other girls stay outside with her all day, they think Ryu forgot and forgive but she just wants their company as it only saves heaven for her right now.

But then cruel darkness comes and she is forced to be in that room all alone with him, she makes sure to be in bed pretending to be asleep even before he comes. She holds her breath as she closely listens to his every moment, every step, they have formed somewhat of a routine by now.

Every day He always walks to her side and stands there for few seconds, while Ryu prays he leave her alone because she is asleep, he stares down at her knowing too well that she is wide awake, he signs not knowing what to do or say, either apologize 'I am sorry for assaulting you' or ask 'how long will it take for you to accept and not throw me out every time you don't get you way?.'

It seems to be working so far for Ryu at least, even though both of them are unhappy, they still put the performance of a lifetime in front of others, acting like the young happily married couple, they have to they are in enemy territory. But when alone both don't utter a single word.

This is their last day in Omashu tomorrow they are leaving for Ba Sing Sa, finally, she gets to meet uncle Iroh, she already feels much better knowing she will finally be able to breathe without him suffocating her.

Today King Bumi has thrown a party celebrating peace treaty, Ryu is sitting in front of the mirror all dolled up, she looks into the mirror taking a deep breath, doesn't matter how hard she pulls air in, it's not enough.

"what have I become," she asks the mirror, 'born to fight, to be a warrior, but now she is all dolled up pawn in kings game' the marks on her neck faded away but she still can feel them there, mocking her just like his words in the back of her head do.

"You are still not ready?" he asked standing at the door, "No, I am ready," Ryu said picking her crown from next to his, 'just a subject' 'just one job', she giggled to herself 'what a fancy collar this is'

He walked in, taking a seat on the bed "What's so funny?" he asked.

She put the crown on and picked his up walking up to him, "Nothing your highness" she held his crown in front of her, he lowered his head, she started to ran her hand through his long black hair to make a bun, after few seconds he took her hand in his making her stop.

He looked back up at her, "We been through this, I expect a proper answer when I ask a question"

Ryu slides her hand away going back to doing his hair, "Nothing your highness, it's just that..." she took a deep breath knowing it won't end in her favor but she is too tired to lie so screw everything and everyone.

She tied his hair to fix his crown in, "This crown on my head has to be the fanciest collar out there" she let her hands drop to her side, ready for the outburst.

He looked back at her with his glowing golden eyes, as a strand of hair that seem to escape the bun fell, she takes the stand between her fingers, as familiar silence took over the room.