Chapter 19

Ryu woke up with light escaping the curtains, she raised her hand to block it.

"Morning," he said in a low rough voice, Ryu turned to find the young lord sitting against the wall, looking at Ryu who is laying on the sleeping mat in the middle. He looked like a mess like he haven't slept the whole night, with his long hair in a messy bun and tired eyes.

"Morning" she whispered in a broken tired voice as her voice refuse to oblige, she tried clearing her throat but it made it worse. She removed a piece of wet cloth from her head and put it next to the bowl filled with water.

She sat up holding her head it felt like there is hundred tons of weight on it,

"Here drink this, I will ask uncle for tea," he said walking toward her with a glass of water.

He took a knee in front of her to be on somewhat of the same level, "How are you feeling?" he asked.

Ryu looked up at him in shock as it all started to come back, why isn't he screaming at me, or trying to kill me, Ryu thought.

"Like I am dying" She replied taking the glass from him, he let out a chuckle, "Yeah, It is fun at night but mornings are hell"

He put a hand on Ryu's head, "still a little warm" he whispered to himself, "I will ask uncle to make something for you" he said standing up.

Ryu grabbed the hand that was on her head, "No need, I am okay, don't bother him he must be busy"

"Ryu, He is never busy for family," he said trying to move again but was stopped by Ryu's firm grip, he looked back at Ryu staring at the glass in her other hand.

"Ryu?" he asked,

"My lord" Ryu took a deep breath trying to find the right words, "I think I owe you an apology, I have no idea what got into me to do such...." She was cut off by him

"Ryu this is not the right time, you have been burning up from fever the whole night, just rest we will talk about everything later"

He bend over a little to kiss her on the head, "For now Ryu just know that I love you" with that he left the room.

Ryu laid back down, "All I need to know is that he loves me" she whispered back to herself.

The whole day Ryu stayed in bed, too embarrassed to leave and face everyone, but uncle Iroh and katara came into the room a few times to check on her, but both didn't mention last night.

Until Ryu woke up to find Sokka sitting next to her sleeping mat, "Sokka?"

"Ryu" he took a deep breath, "You said that you think of me as your older brother"

"I do" Ryu got up to sit next to him,

"Then why didn't you tell me, ask for help, aren't little sister should ask their brothers for help when they are hurting"

"Sokka, you have to try and understand my position"

Sokka finally turned toward Ryu to find tears in her eyes, "Understand what? That you rather chose to suffer in silence than to reach for me"

Ryu took a deep breath realizing how much her decision hurt him, "I.... I didn't know what to do if I wanted to *sob* to leave him, I would have come to you and I.. I know you would help me" she wiped her tears "But I.. it was hard for me to lea..ve him"

"I love him, brother I love him, and I crave for a place in his heart too, and If I told you that would just end up pushing me away from him" she took a deep breath, putting her head on his shoulder.

"So what you weren't ready to leave him, but was ready to be abused by him," Sokka asked.

"No, I am strong I can take care of myself" she replied.

"So Why didn't you the first time?" he asked

"Because I was exhausted from sitting at the freezing cliff, my body was too tired"

"So that was why you were crying that day on the floor"

After a few minutes of silence, Sokka took a deep breath, "Tell me one thing Ryu, I always thought of you as a smart girl, then how did you let your heart fool you into thinking that you can live with a man like him, what is a man who goes for his wife when she is her weakest and what will stop him from doing it again in another moment of weakness?"

"I don't know how, I just know one thing" Ryu looked up at him to see the pain in his eyes, "That I can't leave his side"

Sokka took a deep breath looking away, "Is there anything I can do to help you?" he asked,

"I don't think so, I have to deal with this alone"

"Okay then, I will be taking my leave" Sokka was about to get up, but Ryu kept him down by his arm,

"Where are you going?" she asked a little worried,

"Back to the tribe, they need me"

"You are mad?" Ryu asked

"No, just sad, no one likes seeing people they care about hurt, especially when you can't do anything about it" he signed.

"I am sorry, brother"

Sokka turned to her and kissed her forehead, "I need to go or I might kill him, but if you ever need me, I am a letter away"

He looked back at her, "Call me, and you will always find me standing beside you"

"Okay?" he asked, "Okay"

..........................................................................................................

I love Sokka so much, he is for sure my favorite character in Avatar.