Chapter 31

"Welcome back"

Zuko and Aang walked in right as Ryu was closing the shop for the day, "Where is everyone? Why are you closing alone?" Zuko asked walking up to Ryu who is cleaning up the table of the last customers who just left.

"Uncle was not feeling well" Ryu replied, "What happened to him?" Zuko asked concerned.

"Oh don't worry, he is just getting old, and gets tired easily"

"What about those two, I thought Uncle hired them," he asked sneaking his hands around Ryu's waist.

"Monkey is out on a chore and Hiroto is upstairs too" Ryu replied trying to stop his arms, Ryu could feel her heart in her throat "Zuko stop" she whispered.

"I will help in the kitchen" The bald kid got his cue to leave and left them alone.

"Is he getting paid to lay around and do nothing?" Zuko asked ignoring Ryu's attempts to get out of his arms.

"It's not like this, He worked all day and I was the one who asked him to call it a day early"

He kissed Ryu's neck sending shock waves down her back, "Zuko" she whispered "Please" trying to stop tears from escaping.

"Seems pretty useless to me, that boy"

"His wounds are still healing" Ryu sighed as his arms pulled her into a tighter hug, it's been the first time they were so close since the accident.

"Yeah, I was wondering where he got them from?"

"Local thieves made a stupid gang, they make small business owners pay for protection" Ryu replied trying not to create a scene.

"Protection from what?" he asked smelling her hair.

"From themselves" Hiroto replied standing on the stairs, without letting her go Zuko turned them around so he was sitting on the table and Ryu was facing Hiroto with her bright red face, and eyes looking at any place but at him.

Zuko rests his chin on Ryu's shoulder, "You are not strong are you?"

"Zuko" Ryu warned trying to avoid an ugly situation.

"I am not" Hiroto smiled finally coming down.

"And you challenged me that day, very brave of you, or maybe stupid"

"That's enough boys," Ryu said pushing Zukos arms away, taking a deep breath to calm down  "Go back and rest Hiroto, our King will help me clean up here"

"Okay," Hiroto turned around to leave but stopped by "Last time I check you had a bar that Ryu got drunk at, what happened to it?"

"I destroyed it" Ryu replied. Zuko let out a laugh "Really why?"

"I was fighting those local pigs"

"Protecting him?" Zuko asked in a sarcastic tone pulling out a pipe and putting fire under it with his finger

"Yes," Ryu replied staring at him breathing in the smoke little shock.

He again let out a little sarcastic laughter with the smoke "Zuko that's enough" Ryu warned,

"What I just want to offer him the money for the destruction my fireless wife caused" he replied acting innocent with his hands raised in the air and pipe still in his mouth.

"I don't want it" Hiroto replied, "I am already in debt to your wife for saving my and my brother's life, I cannot accept anything more"

"Don't be like that" Zuko let out a puff of smoke, and Ryu took the pipe from his mouth to his surprise.