(Chapter 32) Girls Night! Except It's Everynight, Because There Are No Boys

Tamara

There weren't many of us on this island.

If I counted correctly, after meeting everyone, I was the sixth girl. No boys. Yay?

The girl who helped me out of the box, Juniper (or Juni), explained everything as she showed me around the island.

"So, I've been on the island a little over a month, Noobie and if I'm being honest, I barely know whats going on myself. All I know, is that every week, someone new has come up from that box along with basic supplies, we're on a lone island surrounded by the ocean, and we're pretty much doomed." She shrugged walking with me along the sandy beach. "Well, I know a little more than that, but those are the three main things I guess."

"What about building a boat or raft and floating out?" I inquired.

"Oh! No no no, floating out would be a death trap." She began shaking her head, a fearful look in her eye. "The waters are infested with this terrible creature." Her voice turned grave. "We've never seen anything like it, so we call it Sea Walker. It's kinda like a mermaid, but far less pretty. It's completely pale and slimy like a fish, but it has long, bony arms, and a face with no eyes. Just a big mouth." She had stopped walking as she got lost in her mind. I had so many questions but I didn't want to interrupt. "We lost Alice to the Sea Walker. Three of us had gone out to swim in the water and Alice went a little too far. It played with her like she was a toy. It wrapped her up in its long tail and dragged her under, then let her think she got away. She was swimming and screaming back to shore and Isabel and I swam so hard to reach her, but the Sea Walker picked her up, tossed her into the air and... it just..." Juniper's voice cracked, and she cleared her throat, straightening up. She let out a strained laugh. "Sorry for getting all deep and scary so soon. I haven't given enough of these tours to know exactly what to say. We just can't float out to sea. Not with those things in there."

I didn't realize how tense I was until she finally finished her story. I was going to ask if they tried a signal fire or something but it didnt seem like the right time. I rolled my shoulders and let out a breath. "I'm so sorry." I managed to say as I looked out to sea. The way the sun shone off the waves was breathtaking and inviting, but after that story, I knew better than to give in to the beckoning. The thing was in there right now, likely watching. Waiting. I shivered and let the melodic birdsong bring me back to reality.

"Let's finish up our tour." Juniper offered,  holding out her hand, and I took it gladly. She smiled and swung our hands as we walked. Even if we had creatures of nightmares in the waters surrounding us, at least we had friendship right? Perhaps we'll escape through the magic of friendship. #bestiepower. I tried convincing myself that things could be worse.

I could be stuck with all boys.

She showed me the rest of the island which didn't take long. It wasn't very big at all. She showed me the Treehouse they built to the best of their ability, used to get a higher vantage point, and for shelter when needed. She walked me past the campfire with the log benches where they all liked to eat, the storage hut, and finally, the waterfall, which was where they got all their water.

By the time we finished, the sun was just beginning to set, and the crickets were beginning to chirp. If it weren't for the imminent death and monsters in the sea, I would've considered this place a wonderful, beautiful place fit for a vacation.

"You guys done with the tour already?" Someone called. I turned to find the source of the voice, for it to be met with a girl sitting with her back against a tree, eating some berries. She looked about 18 and had black curly hair that was thrown into a bun, and had deep copper skin coated with a sheen of sweat. Everyone had a sheen of sweat on their bodies, it was freakin hot out.

"This is Winona. She got here two weeks ago." Juni smiled.

"It's a lot to take in considering what little there is to see, right?" She joked. "Want some berries?" She held out her hand that had a bunch of assorted berries.

"Oh no thank you, I lost my appetite after Juni told me about the Sea Walker."

"Girl, don't remind me, I'm trying to pretend that thing doesn't exist. You'll never catch me dipping a single toe in that ocean." She let out a laugh. "I swim anyway. Isn't that the dumbest thing you ever heard?" Winona's voice turned slightly annoyed. "I'm stuck on this island, completely surrounded by water, and I can't swim. I am WAY too young to be trapped on an island not knowing how to swim!"

A laugh escaped me before I could stop it. "If it makes you feel any better, I don't know if I can swim either. I've never tried and I don't remember anything about my past enough to..." I stopped. Emotion overtook me as I became very aware of how I knew nothing about my past. I didn't remember my family, my home, my life, anything. I searched all over my head trying to pull at some memories from my past, any memories, but I came up blank. My breathing became labored as I sat down beside Winona, overwhelmed.

I wiped the fresh tears from my eyes and dragged my fingers through my hair as Winona pat my back reassuringly. My heart began to ache, throbbing with the memory of something, someone I couldn't even remember. I hated that my body knew something that I didn't. "Why don't I remember anything? What-- I don't even-- my name?" Tears were flowing freely now. 

"Your name will come to you soon. That's the one thing they let us remember." Juni said calmly sitting in front of me.

"They?" I asked

"Whoever sent us here."

They sent me to bed early that night, instructing that I choose whichever sleeping material I desired from the storage shed. I ended up choosing the hammock and blanket. They both helped me set it up then wished me a good night before going off to do whatever it is they did at this time.

The sun was fully set by the time I lay in my hammock. It was actually moderately cool at night, enough to warrant a blanket for sleep. I tugged my blanket up to my neck and looked up at the sky, watching the stars and the moon. As I looked at the different patterns of the stars I got a strong sense of deja vu as my heart began to ache again, stronger than before. I missed someone. I didn't know how, or who, but I missed them more than anything.

That night I drifted off and dreamt of a stranger. A boy who lay beside me as we pointed up at the Andromeda and Perseus constellations. And as we pointed, the constellations came to life and I realized... they were us.

HEY GUYS! FIRST CHAPTER IN LITERALLY FOREVER!!!! I missed writing so much and I hope you guys enjoy. I'm a little nervous releasing this chapter because I know my writing is so much different than what it was before, it's been so long since I wrote this book with these characters, I hope I can do my own characters justice lol. Also? I don't really know where I'm going with this at the moment, but I'm hoping I go to bed tonight and ideas start flowing before I get impatient and just make things happen a lot sooner than I originally wanted them to.