(Chapter 31) Welcome to the Island

Tamara

My eyes fluttered open, and was instantly greeted with an immensely bright light. I could hear voices arguing quietly, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. I didn't have the energy or motivation to even try. All I could think about was where I was, how I got here, and if the rest of the gladers were here too. I felt a sharp prick on my upper arm and I instantly felt numbed. My thoughts of the gladers slowly drifted and soon I couldn't remember what I was thinking about. My eyes grew heavier and heavier until I drifted back into unconsciousness.

***

I awoke to a strangely familiar sound. Metal, grinding against metal. The cold hard floor rattled beneath me and a pungent stench caused me to squeeze my nose hold my breath. I couldn't help but ask myself why this seemed strangely familiar. I felt this box I was in hurtling upwards faster and faster until it came to a screeching halt.

It was so quiet I could hear my heart beating. It felt like a buffalo stampede in my chest.

Suddenly the ceiling above me, or what I thought was the ceiling peels open like an elevator door. Light quickly seeped into the box along with a wave of heat. I shielded my eyes and squinted as more light came in.

I can vaguely see someone jumping down and reaching towards me. "Up and at em' Noob." As my eyes slowly adjusted to the light I began to make out the figure that was greeting me. She looked about 17, and was strikingly beautiful. She had long dark hair, caramel skin, freckles, warm brown eyes, thick eyebrows, sharp features, the works. And suddenly I felt extremely self conscious.

"Today, Noobie!" Another girl shouted impatiently. I pursed my lips together and took the girls hand. She helped me out of the box and then stood back allowing me to take in my surroundings.

Close by there was a simple hut, a tree house, and a nice campfire area which I assumed was where they ate. Around all that, there were thick, lush, vibrant jungle trees surrounding us. In the distance I could hear a waterfall, and many exotic birds and wildlife. In the first few seconds I looked around, I was astonished with its vastness and beauty. Then I looked closer behind those lush trees and saw a beach. A beautiful white sandy beach. I spun around and saw more trees continuing off into the distance. My mind swam with unanswered questions. I looked around and all the girls beside me and saw that they all looked amused at my confusion.

"What is this place?" I ask, trying really hard not to break down.

A tall girl with shoulder-length blonde hair stepped towards me and put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "We'll explain everything later, but for now, Welcome to the Island."

Whooo whoo! I hope you enjoyed the book. Don't worry, there will be a second book. The second book will be based on her adventures on the island and beyond. Also side note: this is NOT group B, this is a different group that I simply made up. Group Z or something. I will edit all this later so that it's better and less like, "a-12-year-old-wrote-this- ." Sorry for taking so long to finish this book, pretty sure I started like 3 years ago. I just suck at updating so sorry, but for those who stuck with this since the beginning, thank you, and I love you so much. Hope you come back for the second book, which will also be updated in this book, as an add on. Coming soon hopefully!