Chapter 13: How do you know what to fight for?

CHAPTER 13

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT TO FIGHT FOR?

ASH POV

I stalk from the bar, my heart pounding in my chest, as I struggle to process the information I've been given. Sighing in frustration, I run my fingers through my hair as I walk into the bathroom. After checking to make sure it's empty I quickly lock the door and lean against the counter top. My eyes look at my reflection but all I see is me. My mouth opens and I say the words aloud.

"I am a Bezerker. I am a human shifter. I am NOT normal." I hold my breath, waiting for something but nothing comes. I laugh softly to myself as I stare into light blue eyes. I'm nothing special and I never have been. I jump at a pounding on the door as my head whips around.

"Open up lass. I need to see ye." I open the door and Liam forces me to step back as he walks into the bathroom with me. I frown as I tilt my head to look up at him.

"This is the women's bathroom." Liam grimaces as he locks the door and wraps his arms around me.  

"Aye it is, lassie, and what's yer point." I debate about pulling out of his arms but decide against it as my shoulders sag and I lean into his chest. Not once do I start to panic as I stand there, quietly.

"I'm sorry lass. Just donna cry." It isn't until he points it out that I realize I am crying. Tears are streaming down my cheeks and as soon as he says that I feel something inside me shift as I howl in sorrow. Everything that has happened to me in the past comes flooding to the surface as I shake and sob in Liam's arms.

Finally after my sobs and cries have quieted I come back to myself and realize I'm in Liam's arms as he strokes my hair. I look up as he smiles and speaks.

"I meant to tell ye lass. I really like yer pants. They're very sexy." He wiggles his eyebrows and I laugh softly as I ask him the question I've been wanting to ask him.

"What happened in the hallway?" He scowls and pulls back as my smile drops from my face.

"Ye know why lass. Why did ye 'ave sex with him again? After the first time?" His hand grasps my shoulders as I jerk back and shove him further into the bathroom. I struggle to stifle my outrage as I speak but my words are still biting.

"None of your business! Dammit Liam I don't have to explain myself to you!" He starts to speak but I shake my head as I unlock the door and start to walk out then I stop to turn and look at him, my face showing my angst.

"I have had enough of having to tell someone my every action Liam. Just because you can touch me doesn't give you the right to lord it over me." With that I turn and walk back into the club. I feel his gaze on me as I avoid touching the bodies writhing on the dance floor to Psy's 'Gangum Style'. Finding a relatively open space I close my eyes and start to dance. I dance freely, imagining that I am free even if I've never felt that way. I continue to writhe to the beat as the song switches to 'Pound the Alarm' by Nicki Manajie. I'm okay until someone comes up behind me and places their hands on my hips.

I freeze and turn to stare into Kade's hazel eyes. I look over his shoulder and am relieved that I can't see Liam through the writhing bodies as I turn my attention back to Kade. His eyes are filled with some unnamed emotion as he looks at me. I shake my head as I step away, my breath shallow. My eyes stay on his as they say what I can't. I want him to hold me but I won't do this anymore. He raises his hands as if to reach for me but I turn away.

The guy dancing beside me is in his twenties, if that. His face has pox scars from teenage acne but he has a 'boy next door cuteness' you can't miss. Having dismissed Kade I dance with him and my shoulders gradually relax when he doesn't try to touch me but continues to dance beside me. I smile when he does some silly little dance as if to make me laugh.