Chapter 4: Ash Discovers a Secret

Chapter 4:

Ash Discovers a Secret

RIKI POV

Twenty minutes after leaving the Asylum, I have changed into a black two piece bikini with boy shorts bottom and I am walking out of the house, to the pool behind it. My eyes travel from the forest surrounding the entire backyard to the potted ferns aligned around the huge oval shaped pool. In the middle of the pool is a Jacuzzi, which is where Ash sits. Steam clouds the air around her as Ash waves at me and gestures towards the walkway that is horizontal across the pool and allowed you to walk straight up to the Jacuzzi. I smile and walk down the walkway to Ash, who scoots over so I can step into the Jacuzzi. I settle into the hot water as my eyes meet Ash's. I see immediately how upset my cousin is. I start to speak but Ash beat me to it.

"It's not about earlier, it's about something else. Something huge." She stops and bites her lip as she clasps her hands in her lap. I start to say something again but Ash shakes her head and unclasps her hands, raising her right hand and shaking it in a 'never mind' gesture.

"No, I'll tell you all about it but first you need some girl time." Sighing dramatically Ash leans back and rests her arms on the sides of the Jacuzzi as she looks at me with humor. "So how are those two hotties of yours and when exactly are you planning on mating with them?"

I smile and allow Ash to lead the conversation away from what Ash really wants to talk about. I know Ash will get back to it eventually.

I watch Ash's eyes blank and I smile as the smell of 'dark temptation' drifts under my nose. I turn my head to see Luke walking towards us, two glasses in his hand. He kneels beside me and hands me the one with the black umbrella in it. I blink as I smell coconuts and smile slowly.

"You read my mind and brought me a virgin Pina Colada?" Luke smiles and hands Ash the other glass which is not a virgin since my cousin isn't pregnant." Then he leans closer and whispers in my ear.

"Enjoy your girl time because we are having guy time later." My heart stutters and I realized that I was beginning to like this leopard of mine. Luke smirks and raises a brow as he rises to a stand and starts walking away backwards. He throws his hands out as he speaks.

"Beginning to like? Just like? Are you sure Riki? Are you positive?" I scowl as he turns around and walks past the guards into the house, but I don't say anything as I sip on my drink. I just glare as Ash giggles at me. Ignoring her, I stand and setting the drink on the walkway, I dive from the Jacuzzi into the pool, splashing Ash, who shrieks and dives in after me.

..........

We lounge by the side of the pool, on our stomachs, tanning. I lazily open an eye to stare at Ash.

"Ash, spit it out." Ash's cobalt blue eyes open and I see the worry in them as Ash pushes herself up into a sitting position. She brushes imaginary lint off the front of her light blue one piece and lowers her hands to meet my eyes.

"I lied and have been lying to you for the past few months." Ash sees the shock on my face and quickly continues with her explanation. "What I mean is that...what is beyond Crystal Falls?" I blink and raise my brows as I shrug.

"I have no idea. Why?" Ash gestures at me.

"We should know what is beyond our clan's island, Riki. Don't you remember the stories your mom used to tell about humans and how we were supposed to go beyond the veil on our eighteenth birthday?" I nodded.

"Yes but I never had enough time to. After Noella lost her baby and I became Queen I have been going nonstop." Ash grimaced.

"Riki you're almost thirty years old and you have never left here or attempted to. Lucas lives out there with his clan. And when was the last time you and I talked about your mom?" I frowned as I thought about it, realization dawns on me as I growl low in my throat. I sat up clutching the sides of my lounge chair, struggling to remain calm.