Chapter 2: News

CHAPTER 2: NEWS

RIKI POV

We take a shower and get dressed in silence. My body is tense as I walk back into the bedroom with Gabe close behind me.  I'm well aware that he knows I'm upset and is trying to be patient I try to find the words to tell him what I need to tell him. I realize halfway across the room that I am looking down, afraid to tell him, so I draw back my shoulders and raise my head. But even at 5'11 I am nothing compared to the 6 1/2 foot male that has come to a stop in front of me. The understanding in his eyes almost breaks me. He knows what I am fixing to say but not all of it and not why.

"I asked Ash to find me a mate." His face is empty of emotion as he speaks. Only the crack in his voice betrays what he is feeling.

"That's good. It means you will no longer be whipped." He turns to go but I grab his arm with a force I shouldn't yet have and yank him back. He whirls back around to meet the fury in my violet eyes as he processes what he is thinking. My lips curl into a snarl as I speak.

"That's right think about it. I am the leopard queen that cannot shift until I give birth to my first child, like every other female of our clan. I fight with beasts that cannot escape with slightly better hearing and strength but never as much as a male would have until after I give birth for the first time. Now I pull a male shifter back to me like it is nothing and apparently I am really bitchy. What does that mean Gabriel Black Wolf!" My nails dig into his arm but I don't realize how hard I am grasping him until I smell blood and glance down to see rivets of red sliding down his arm. Quickly I release him and look up to see shock on his face as he stands there frozen.

"I'm sorry I grabbed you. I'm upset that you think I would turn you away because of a little pain." That snapped him out of his surprise.

"A LITTLE! Your sister has been using that barbaric law to get you to choose a proper mate for three years now. You have been getting twenty lashes once a week for three years because you don't think it would look right to discard a law that someone made up over three hundred years ago. And...." He stops when I start to cry. I never cry and now I am crying for the second time in one day. Damn, stupid hormones. I am definitely pregnant. Sighing, he opens his arms and I walk into them as I press my head into his chest and speak.

"I told Ash to find him and see if he still wanted us. I won't leave you, Gabe. I don't care what it takes. I have two mates just like I have two beasts. I won't leave you behind just because I'll supposedly shift only into a leopard. My mother loved a werewolf and refused to turn her back on him. I'll do no less for you even if it means giving.....Lucas...exactly what he wants." My eyes are grim as I look up at him and meet his golden eyes. He nods and I sigh in relief. We are on the same page, at least. Now we just have to get Luke to agree to what I want to do. I only hope my plan works.

......................

Two days later I am walking down the hall, Ash by my side, my back healed. My hands are clenched into fists at my side. And my teeth were bared as I think about what my sister has done now. I struggle not to snarl in rage as my pace speeds up. Anyone standing in front of me steps quickly out of my way as Ash glances warily over at me but I ignore her as a growl rumbles from within my chest. Ash blinks and bites her lip to hold back a smile as I shoved open the doors to my sister's rooms. There was a gasp and a flash of pale legs as Noella, Riki's sister, falls off the bed to the floor. Her husband, Jarek stays propped up on the bed flaunting himself. He's in all his glory, as his eyes follow our walk into the room.

He starts to speak but I finally meet his eyes and he pales as he hears the growl rumbling in my chest. Noella freezes in her attempt to cover herself as her jaw drops and she stares openly at me. Noella glances at Ash but Ash simply wiggles her eyebrows and flips her off. She sputters and forgets about Ash as I step up to her and grab her around the neck. I feel my nails digging into flesh as Noella gasps for breathe.

"Where is Gabriel? I warned you to never touch him, ever. I let your husband whip me to keep him safe and I'll be damned if I will let you harm him now." Noella struggles to speak but cannot, so her eyes roll over to her husband, pleadingly. He sighs and slides off the bed then bends over to pull on pants as if he's the only one in the room.  As he buttons his slacks he speaks to me, not seeming all that concerned for Noella.

"Noella didn't harm your wolf. He's having a private conversation with Lucas White Leopard. Noella told him it would be a good idea if he rejected you formally as his mate." Ash rolls her eyes at the lack of tact as I snarl loudly and throw Noella into the wall. Noella's head slams into the brick wall and there is a loud thunk as blood splatters the wall behind her. I speak as Noella slumps to the ground.

"He isn't rejecting me." Jarek smirks and walks forward so that he is inches from my face. He raises his hand to touch my cheek, as my lips curl back and I bare my teeth at him. He raises both his hands in submission and steps back as he speaks.

"I fear you cannot have two mates dear." I growl softly as Noella whimpers from the corner.

"That hurt sis."

"You'll live bitch and don't you ever speak to Gabriel again because next time I'll kill you." Noella manages a pout as she pushes her auburn hair out of her face and struggles to stand, using the wall for support.

"You didn't tell me you were pregnant with the wolf's baby." Jarek's eyes snap wide with surprise as he looks at me and a smirk appears on his full lips.

"You're having the mutt's baby? That is..." He trails off as my hand smacks him across the face, leaving behind four claw marks. There is a deadly silence as he blinks and closes his mouth. Ash, however, laughs aloud, unable to hold it in. Then she straightens and speaks softly. 

ASH POV 

"Riki and her child will be very strong as leopards if she is already partially shifting." Riki turns and leaves the room as my eyes look back at Jarek and Noella one last time before I turn and follow Riki out of the room. The hatred there sent a shiver down my spine as I make a mental note to get more guards for Riki. As the doors close behind us I glance over at Riki and finally speak.

"You know they are going to try and kill you now. Noella and Jarek are next in line for the throne if you die." Riki's eyes flare golden as she looks back at me.

"They can try Ash. They can damn well try." I shiver at the anticipation in Riki's voice and wonder again if having two beasts makes her more blood thirsty than other shifters. It occurs to me at that moment that Riki is stalking towards the guests chambers where Lucas and Gabriel are meeting and I am following her. I come to a complete halt and duck my head as Riki continues forward.

"You go ahead I'm going to go and.." I glance up and see Riki has turned the corner. My shoulders slump in relief as I mumble under my breathe. "...find something to do."   Anything that doesn't involve me watching her try to kill somebody is preferred. With that I dash in the opposite direction, away from the cousin that I love with all my heart because there is no way in hell I want to be anywhere around when Riki finally blows up.