when the cracks began to show

"Wait, you guys are leaving? Right now?"

Taylor had a weird look on her face when she emerged from the bathroom and once her eyes met mine, the look got even weirder.

"Uhh... yeah. I think so."

She could barely look at me as she stood behind the chair she had just been sitting in a few minutes ago; all I wanted was for her to stay.

"But, you just got here..."

There was a familiar look that flashed across her face for a second; I bit my lip hoping she'd give in and just sit back down, but a second later, Kiana popped up behind her, happily ready to drag my princess away.

"Ooop, time to go, babes. The boys are waiting Sooooo, bye."

I knew Kiana hated me since everything went down and knowing how much she loved to stir the pot, I decided to keep my mouth shut, grinding my teeth in annoyance.

I knew I had no right to get upset about Taylor being with other dudes, but that didn't change the fact that it still made my blood boil.

As Taylor was sandwiched between her friends walking out of the bar, I stared back at the shot and beer that were set down next to mine for her.

"Yo, where'd they go?"

I shut my eyes and shook my head at Elijah's question, sniffing a little before taking my shot.

"Tay's-- they're gone, man."

I reached for Taylor's shot and downed it as well, exhaling as the whiskey burned my mouth while Elijah continued.

"Keeks said she was gonna come play."

I shrugged sadly, knowing exactly why the girls didn't stay.

I drowned myself in misery and a few more beers within an hour and as I sat back watching Spencer sink a corner shot, the live band began playing one of Taylor's go-to karaoke songs.

I... wanna run into someone's arms...
Lie on a bed of roses.
I... wanna feel just like Juliet...
I wanna fall in love,
I've got a feeling...

As the female singer began the chorus, my gaze was distant before I closed my eyes, remembering the heavenly way Taylor sang this song.

"That chick up there's okay, but..."

I sniffed and shook my head, a bit unsatisfied, as I looked over to Elijah and Spencer.

"...this is Tay's song. Her voice was--it was perfect, just like everything else about her..."

Elijah shared a cautious look with my brother, who nodded as he walked around the table to line up another shot.

"Yeah, Taylor's pretty great."

I watched as my brother sunk another ball into a pocket, and I shook my head, frustrated at myself.