when i sinned

The moment the wine glass fell from Taylor's hand and shattered on the floor, I felt like a dick for scaring her.

When I left the resort, my mind was running wild and there was only one real place I could think to go where I knew I'd feel any sense of peace.

"Shit, I'm sorry!"

I looked down at her bare feet and rushed over, not wanting her to hurt herself.

"Don't move, Taylor."

My voice was stern and she nodded silently, watching as I moved around her to the kitchen. I returned a few moments later, laying out some paper towels to both soak up the wine and also to cover the shards of glass.

She tiptoed around the mess and I carefully wiped up as much as I could before Taylor came up with a mop. I took it from her, cleaning the mess.

"I didn't mean to scare you."

"Yeah? Try not breaking into someone's house."

"It's not breaking in if I still have a key."

Taylor sighed and shook her head.

"What are you doing here, Jay? 'Lijah called."

"Really?"

Setting the broom aside, I cocked my head to the side, trying to act like I didn't expect him to call Taylor.

She nodded and went back into the kitchen with me following closely behind her.

"Yup. He said they're looking for you..."

With her hand on the refrigerator door, she looked back at me with a small smirk beginning to form on her face.

"He also said you got into it with Lori's brother. Please tell me it was that prick Phillip. Ahh, he's such a fucking dickhead."

I smiled to myself and wrung out my hand a little, reminding myself of what happened earlier, as she poured another glass of wine.

"He got what he had coming to him... barely."

I chuckled to myself a little, knowing my fist was bound to have another encounter with Phillip's face if he ever fixed his face to start to say Taylor's name again.

She must've sensed the change in my demeanor because her next words were low and deliberate.

"Jared, what happened?"

I groaned and tugged on my hair a little before burying my face in my hands and burying my face.

"What? Jay, just tell me."

I sighed and raised my head, lacing my fingers together before I looked over at Taylor, a knowing look on his face.

"He pushed my buttons."
✖️

"✖️