when we came to an agreement

"So this is basically gonna be a four-month-long vacation for you, right?"

I narrowed my eyes in Phillip's direction, annoyed by his accusation and the fact that he didn't know what the fuck he was talking about.

"We're going to Dubai for a week."

"Interesting."

We were all standing out on the back deck overlooking the golf course and when I noticed Phillip look over at his dad and brother as he chuckled, I cocked my head to the side.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about the resort we're opening in Dubai. It's been decided for almost two months."

I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion while I shrugged.

"And...?"

Lori's dad went to say something, but Phillip cut him off.

"And... Lori's overseeing everything. It's not just a honeymoon, dude."

Annoyance began to bubble from beneath my skin as I thought back to how adamant Lori had been about going to Dubai for our honeymoon, and now it all made sense.

As my annoyance turned into downright anger, one thought popped into my head.

"I'm not leaving my daughter for four months."

Phillip chuckled again, replying before taking a swig from his bottle of beer,

"You don't have much of a choice. Or are you willing to just leave your new bride?"

"This is something I'll be discussing with Lori."

"It's been decided."

I was grateful for Spencer, who stepped in, noticing the agitation on my face.

"It's not like he can just leave McKenna. And there's no possible way Tay's just gonna put everything on hold for four months."

Phillip tilted his head as a playful smirk rose on his face.

"I thought the 'baby mama' would love that."

I cut my eyes, glaring at Phillip as I felt my blood begin to simmer.

"Excuse me?"

"What? From what I've heard from my little sis, that girl's been mooching off you and your parents since you knocked her up."

"What the fuck did you say?"

Phillip shrugged and grinned smugly.

"Was I wrong?"

The words barely escaped his lip before I decked him. I cocked my arm back and made a fist, and when I made contact with his face, the instant pain in my hand was worth it.

"Dude, what the hell?!"

Ignoring my brother, I wrang my hand, feeling an immediate sting in my knuckle, before I turned to walk away.

I didn't stop for Spencer, Elijah, or my dad as they called after me; I had to get out of there.
✖️

"Oh, my God, Jay! He's not trying to replace you in her life!"

"And what about yours?"

I knew I was being a dick and didn't have the right to ask Taylor anything about what was going on in her personal life, but I couldn't help myself.

Devastation was plastered all over her perfect face and I hated myself.

"You left. What was I supposed to do?"

That shit really hurt. I knew it was selfish of me but part of me always thought I'd be the only guy for Taylor.

"So he did?"

She let out an exhausted laugh and her shoulders slumped forward a bit.

"We're dating, Jay. You're dating, so why can't I?"

I groaned internally, knowing that she was right, but there was always going to be a part of me that wouldn't be able to stand seeing her with someone else.

"Taylor, we--"

"Look, Jay... I don't wanna fight, okay? At the end of the day, all that matters is McKenna. Can we just agree that she comes first, always?"

I nodded, knowing Taylor was right. McKenna was the most important thing in our lives and I knew I needed to start doing a better job at showing that.

"Always."

I knew it was stupid and she was going to push me away, but I couldn't help myself. I pulled Taylor in and kissed her, gripping her ass, making her moan in my mouth.

When I pulled away, Taylor's eyes were still closed, and all I wanted was to pull her back in.

"But, you'll always be my Princess."

♦️