YOU DIDNT HAVE TO.

**

"you're welcome." ethan said, expanding his stride, to ava as they were walking to the nearby market.

ava had been trying to her best to stay ahead of him despite the fact that she was at least half a foot shorter than him. "i didn't ask you to do that."

ethan stopped in front of her, "you didn't have to." ava paused briefly to glance at the sincerity in his eyes.

she quickly dismissed the moment and brushed past him towards the markets doors. ethan followed closely behind.

ava's pov

im trying my absolute best to not be a total bitch to ethan. in all truthfulness he didn't do anything wrong. well that'd be a lie, he did. he shouldn't have kissed me.

i get that maybe he was upset about the octavia situation but there were about a thousand other things he could've done that didn't involve my mouth on his.

i practically paced around the store looking for the things mom needed to cook. ha, mom. as if you could actually call her that seeing as she doesn't exactly tend to her motherly duties.

bad enough, she stayed in london when dad's work required us to be in canada. now she just expects us to visit her twice a year and pretend everything is okay? she's practically got christian ready to forgive her but not me.

i was heading to the register and i could almost feel ethans eyes bore into me. he's been doing it since we've stepped out of the apartment.

the lady at the register quickly scanned my stuff and i gave her the money mom gave me.

as we were walking out of the store, ethan was unusually quiet. maybe he was finally giving it a rest? i don't know, his silence was worse than his badgering.

"okay what's going on?" he said stopping in front of me, again.

we were merely inches away. he was holding the bags from the store and they swayed a little before he added, "between us, i mean."

i looked up to meet his eyes; he seemed a little nervous. "what do you mean?" i let out in the faintest whisper.

he took a deep breath, "that night, you said the kiss was good and now you won't talk to me?" he stepped closer. my breath hitched, i hope he didn't hear it.

"if you want to pretend it didn't happen then i guess we can, but please don't stop talking to me?" he said softly, and damn id be lying if i said my heart didn't melt.

i stood there silently for more than i intended to. i didn't know what to say. well, that's wrong. i knew what i wanted to say. i wanted to tell him that im sorry, that i overreacted, that i don't ever wanna stop talking to him. but it was too late, he was already turning around.

"okay, ava." he whispered as he kept walking. fuck.

**
a.n. smh why are they never just happy for more than five minutes 🧐