Chapter 28

2017

When the mini tournament we held during practice aired on the PSG channel, the response was even grander than anticipated. While the whole game was not shown, the goals and best moments were, and my Panenka penalty drew a lot of attention, both good and bad. It's not like I didn't know it was a gamble, but many people online called it cocky, especially for someone that had not earned her stripes, while others were impressed.

Mine and Thiago's successful covering on Neymar, which we managed with just one foul for Thiago, also drew attention and to my surprise even one compilation video of the best moments of mine during the mini game and my regular games with the women's team popped up on YouTube. It was generally celebrated how Thiago and 'his girls' managed to outperform all other teams, featuring some of the most talented footballers of our time.

As a result of all this new attention, the pressure for signing the new contract was even higher, with execs approaching me or emailing me daily. The other unexpected result of this mini tournament was the camera catching me and David fake arguing and insulting each other before the final game started, which turned into a meme online. This led the PR team to ask us to create a fake mini talk show series once a week, for the PSG channel where we'd either comment on something related to football or have a player as a guest.

I was now on the car with David, headed to the taping of the first episode, a little bit unsure of what to expect. We reached the training complex quickly as there was no traffic.

"Be there in a second." I told him, taking out my phone. I felt my stomach churn a little, as I waited for Neymar to pick up.

"Hi Liv." I heard him say. It sounded like he was someplace windy or possibly driving. "What's up?"

"Am I bothering you? I can call back later."

"You? Never." He said and he always floored me when he said things like that with complete sincerity.

"I... It's no big deal if he hasn't gotten back to you yet, but I was wondering if Riberi had a chance to look at the contract. They're pressuring me for an answer." I heard someone speak to him, but didn't recognize the voice or what they were saying, except it was in Portuguese.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I've been meaning to talk to you about this."

"I'm at Loges now, they want me to film something with David, but maybe later? If you're available. I know it's a Saturday."

"Do you want to come by the house?" He asked me. "I can have someone pick you up at Loges."

I hesitated for a second. I knew I shouldn't. I knew I shouldn't because deep down I really wanted to. I knew I shouldn't because it only made it more difficult for me to free myself from the pull of him. "Sure, that sounds great." I said.

When I went inside, I saw the PR team had created a set with a living room, like those they had in actual talk shows.

"Olivia, you're here. Let's start with makeup and clothes." Gina, the head of PR told me. She showed me to a makeup chair next to David, who looked like he really didn't enjoy the experience. The good thing about the makeup for these videos was that it was minimal. Then they gave us matching pants and jackets with the PSG logo to wear and we were ready.

"First of all, I want you to greet the audience and welcome them to the Dave and Olivia Show."

"My name is not Dave." David protested.

"It sounds better."

"No." David insisted.

"Fine. David and Olivia Show. Happy?" Gina asked and David nodded. "The theme of the first episode is watching some of the clips of the mini tournament and just commenting on them. But try to channel that energy of your fight from the other day."