Chapter 60

2015

Light reflects from your shadow

It is more than I thought could exist

The first few days I was in São Paulo had been great. Admittedly, I didn't spend as much time with Neymar as I'd have liked because he was so busy with all the work he needed to do while he was here but I spent a lot of time with his family. Rafaella introduced me to her friends too, who were great people. We went out for drinks, dinner or to a tattoo shop where Rafaella tried to convince me to get my first tattoo but I didn't cave. I held her hand while she got another one though.

I spent a lot of time with Davi too, and helped him with all his Christmas homework. Strangely, I found it easier to practice my Portuguese with him than with anyone else because he as a child had no qualms about correcting my mistakes (and even making a little fun of me) whereas adults tended to brush past them so they wouldn't embarrass me.

One night, Neymar, Davi, Rafaella, their friends and I went to the fair too which had been a lot of fun, as we took Davi on the rides. Neymar had even won me a plastic ring on the basketball hoops, that I actually wore and had not taken off since.

I spent a lot of time with Neymar's mom too and her, me and Rafaella even went for a spa day together. With it being summer and pretty hot in Brazil, we also went to the beach one day which was nice. And the final change was that while Rafaella didn't convince me to get a tattoo, she did convince me to dye my hair for the first time. I had opted for a balayage to lighten my dark brown hair. Neymar said he liked it.

You move through the room

Like breathing was easy

On Christmas Eve morning I heard a loud bang on the door and a few seconds later Rafaella had crawled into the bed. "Morning!" She said.

"Good morning." I told her. "Where is Neymar?" I asked her.

"He had something to do. He'll meet us later. C'mon, we have a million things to do!" Rafa said. She couldn't contain her excitement.

"Really? He told me he didn't have anything on the schedule today. He said we'd go by the NJ institute."

"Maybe later?" She offered. "Anyway, get up, we have an appointment at the salon in half an hour."

"Salon? Why?"

"I thought it would be nice to pamper ourselves, before Christmas. We can do a facial, our nails and whatever else we think of. Get ready!" She said, before she got up and disappeared down the hall.

I texted Neymar but he didn't reply. I got ready quickly and found Rafa waiting for me downstairs. With the corner of my eye I saw Nadine leaving the room through another door as I walked in. Strange. "What about your mom? Doesn't she want to join us?"

"No, it will be just us today." Rafa said and we got in her car to drive to the salon.

When we got there, it turned out we were the only two customers in the salon at that time. The place was pretty fancy, they served fruitcakes and French pastries as you did your treatments and they even offered us champagne.

"What color would you like?" The nails technician asked me.

"I thought it would be fun to do something summery. It's my first-time spending Christmas in the south hemisphere."

"Mmm." Rafa murmured. "I'd go with a classic. What is your favorite color, that goes with anything? That you wouldn't ever be tired of looking at?"