Chapter 38

2015

The rest of the village kids jumped up and down like crazy when they saw Neymar. We had gone down to the makeshift football pitch they had created near the research center where we'd meet for games and they were now in the process of taking pictures with him on Toly's phone. Justin and Chad had also come down since Justin sometimes also joined us in games, but I was glad he was a rugby player since his football skills needed serious improvement. The three of us were currently lounging at the side of the pitch, where Chad had brought a pitcher of vodka orange juice. Vodka was so cheap in Russia that the guys had planned to take the maximum advantage of it.

"I cannot believe you never told me Neymar Da Silva Santos Junior is your boyfriend. I have his poster on my wall Olivia! On my wall!" Toly said, walking up to us and reaching for the pitcher to pour himself a drink. Apparently being 16 and about to play football was not a deterring factor against alcohol here. "And you made the man crack almonds for my mother. That is atrocious!" He said, appalled.

"So, is he like famous?" Chad asked, looking at Neymar and the kids. It was amazing how well they communicated, since other than Toly no one else spoke a hint of English. They all knew who Neymar was though. And football was a universal language.

Toly looked at Chad incredulously. "Is he famous? Have you heard of Pele? Maradona?"

Chad nodded.

"Well, he's the heir to the empire."

I laughed. I knew Neymar would like that one.

"Do you know him, Justin?" Chad asked him. "He's a hunk for sure. Maybe I should start watching soccer if players look like that."

"Football." Both me and Toly said at the same time.

"Much better than the rugby guys." Chad continued, not paying attention to our interjection but I saw this comment gained him a raised eyebrow by Justin.

"He looks familiar. But I can't place him." Justin said.

"Well, except for playing with Brazil for the World Cup and Copa America and winning La Liga and Copa del Rey and the Champions League this year, you might have seen him in Gilette, Beats, Replay, Nike or Red Bull commercials." Toly said, flabbergasted that he had to explain what he thought should be common knowledge.

"Mastercard too." Neymar added approaching us, a playful grin on his face.

"Red bull, that's the one! I remember that ad." Justin exclaimed. I laughed, thinking back to a little more than a year ago, when my two-year, self-inflicted isolation from the world of football had resulted in me being employed by the Brazilian Football Federation without knowing who Neymar was. And the mess that ensued.

"Ready for the game?" Neymar asked me. I nodded and he gave me his hand and pulled me up. He along with Toly and Justin started descending towards the pitch.

"Is today going to be the day you join us?" I asked Chad.

"No, not today. But I will enjoy the show. Tell your man to play skins." Chad told me, winking at me and slapped my butt.

Neymar who saw that walked up to me quickly. "Did that guy just touch your butt?" He asked me.

I laughed. "He did, but before you overreact, I think he's more interested in you than me." I told him.

Neymar looked at me confused for a second before he understood and then looked mortified.

"You're cute when you're jealous though. But no need with Chad and Justin. I'm 99% sure they're sleeping together."

Neymar shook his head in exacerbation. "So, I guess we're playing opposite each other? It's the fairest split. You can pick first."

"Actually, how about the two of you against all of us?" Toly said, pointing towards everyone behind him. "And don't go easy." He told Neymar. "Because I won't."