Chapter 53

2015

October arrived and with the chilly air and the rain season it also brought Neymar's friends in town. It was João, Jô and Gilmar who I knew already as well as some new additions, bringing the total of people living in Neymar's house to a little less than a dozen. It almost felt like being back in the dorms in university, although the accommodation was sure nicer.

I was aware, last year when Neymar and I were long distance that sometimes his friends would fly over from Brazil and stay with him, but I had not realized how often they did or how long they stayed. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind having them there and I actually liked them, but sometimes it felt like a giant party, all the time. And I was a kind of person that preferred some peace and quiet in the house.

Ever since they arrived, our schedule had completely transformed. Neymar would go to practice in the morning at which point everyone woke up and started 'working' which usually meant putting Brazilian music on the sound system, playing videogames, organizing parties, catering and Neymar's schedule regarding his sponsorship deals. Early afternoon, Neymar would come back from practice, usually exhausted and sleep till the evening. And then, it was poker night. Every night. Till the AM. Sometimes he went to practice without going to bed at night at all.

Then Saturday or Sunday was match night and the rest of the time during the weekend was taken up by Neymar's responsibilities to his sponsors, such as shooting a commercial or making an appearance somewhere. I was there with him for most of these, usually hanging in the background, but somehow, it felt like we had less time together than when I was away.

Today was one of the days that not only the Brazilian music started way too early, but also a videogame marathon on Neymar's game room. The game room was usually where I went to do some work in the morning. Work on keeping NOL up to date and working out predictions for his next matches as well as my online Portuguese lessons that I had started in secret, wanting to surprise Neymar when I was more fluent.

And also, my hunt for a job in Barcelona. I had already gone to some interviews but let's just say the response hadn't been what I was hoping for. After the first two or three rejections, I had stopped telling Neymar about it because his response was that I shouldn't put myself through that when there was no need to.

A big hindrance to me getting a job was my lack of Spanish. I was learning Portuguese because it was Neymar's native language, but maybe I should have been learning Spanish instead, since we lived in Spain. I knew Neymar could speak Spanish somewhat, only based on his Portuguese since there were many similarities, but for someone like me, that knew neither of these languages, it was more confusing than helping. There weren't many jobs in Barcelona for a physics graduate that couldn't speak Spanish.

I picked up my laptop and decided to go out to a coffeeshop to work, which was something I enjoyed doing when I was in university. Gilmar was kind enough to drive me in one of Neymar's cars. Neymar had told me I could call for a car anytime I needed or drive any of his cars myself, but I didn't feel comfortable doing either. The first felt weird and the as far as the second was concerned, I really didn't want to crash one of his expensive cars.

"Thanks." I told Gilmar when we got in the car.

"No problem." He said, smiling. "Listen, I know we are a lot to deal with," He said, motioning with his hand towards the house, "But anytime you have an issue, speak up. It's your house now too, we are the guests."

I smiled at him, but I wasn't sure I felt that way. They seemed to feel more at ease at Neymar's house than I was feeling. I felt like the outsider.

Gilmar dropped me off at the coffeeshop and said goodbye. I found a table at the back, ordered their largest size of coffee, that came in a mug that I couldn't easily pick up with just one hand and started working. Today the plan was to incorporate the latest of Neymar's tapes from his Barcelona games into NOL.