Chapter 90

2018

Waking up, I saw light behind my eyelids. It was yellow and orange, changing fast, making me dizzy. It felt like I slowly came back to life. I was aware of my hands, and my legs, and my heartbeat. And the pressure to the back of my head, that kept getting bigger.

I finally opened my eyes, or more specifically, my one eye, as the other was forced close. It took me a second to focus, everything was hazy and distorted, lost details bathed in the sun's golden light.

And then I saw him. He was asleep in an armchair across the room, his head softly laying on the side. He looked peaceful as he slept, but I saw both his hands were bandaged. My mind flashed back to that bathroom, Neymar punching Ian, again and again and again, until David came and told him to stop. Neymar looking at me, his face full of rage but also fear and pain.

We were at the hospital, I realized and moreover, it looked familiar. It was the same hospital my brother was at, after the cable car accident.

"Honey, you're awake." I heard a woman say softly and my line of vision was obstructed by a hand. I jerked away, scared. "No, no relax. I'm nurse Blanchet." She said and suddenly her face was in front of mine. She had grey hair in a bun and rosy cheeks and she was smiling at me.

"Livvie?" I heard Neymar's voice who must have woken up by the noise. "Hey, hey." He said, coming into view. He was like an angel, the light of the day behind him framing his face like a halo. My own angel.

"Ney..." I tried to say, but no sound came out.

"Shhh. You're okay. You're okay, baby. Don't talk."

"My head." I mouthed.

"Does it hurt?" The nurse asked me and I nodded.

"We'll give you something for the pain. Let me get the doctor first."

She left the room, and I raised my hand slowly. There was an IV running from the back of it and my wrist was bruised. Neymar saw it, taking it in his and kissing it. I saw tears run from his eyes and reached up to his face to wipe them, but they kept running, faster than I could take them away. I cupped his face but Neymar's eyes were focused on the bruises on my wrists.

"My promise." I whispered. "I broke it."

Neymar looked at me quizzically, but before he could say anything my mom barged inside followed by my brother and a woman in a white robe who I assumed was the doctor.

"Oh baby!" She exclaimed and ran to my side, taking my other hand in hers. My brother stayed back and his expression, similar to Neymar's was one of sadness and pity.

"Hello to my favorite patient. I was waiting for you to wake up." The doctor told me, smiling at me, as she gently pushed my mother back. The doctor was the only one whose gaze didn't look haunted when they looked at me. She took out a small medical penlight from the pocket in her coat to check my eye. She had golden brown skin and long black eyelashes. "Are you in pain?" She asked me.

I nodded.

"Okay." She told me and turned to speak to the nurse, but I didn't make out what she said. "Are you tired?" She asked me then and I nodded again. "Okay everyone, let's let Olivia rest some more." She told everyone in the room.

Neymar took a step back and I tried to say no, but only a shriek came out. I reached for him again.

"Maybe Neymar can stay." The doctor said looking between the two of us. "I'd want him to stay too, if I were you." She told me, winking at me.

"We'll be right outside baby." My mom said, letting my brother guide her out.

Neymar brought his chair close to my bed and took my hand in his again.