Chapter 91

2018

When Neymar finally looked up from his phone, I had been looking at him for a good few minutes.

"Hey baby." He said, getting up from his chair by the window and approaching me. "How long have you been awake?"

"Not long. But you looked happy, so I didn't want to bother you."

"I was actually looking at some photos of Davi that Carolina sent me. They are for you really, a video too."

"For me?" I asked, sitting up. Today I felt better. My voice, although hoarse and raspy, was at least audible and the back of my head didn't hurt as much as before. The stiches on my face pulled, but Doctor Larcel said that was to be expected and they were healing well.

"Of course. He knows you're hurt and he wanted to see you but—"

"Better not, until I look a little better." I finished his sentence. I still hadn't looked at myself, but today was only my third day at the hospital. And I would probably be discharged tomorrow.

Neymar nodded, stroking my cheek softly with his fingers. "How are you feeling?"

"Better." I said, trying to smile at him. "Maybe we can go for a walk around the hospital. I went yesterday with Mikey."

"They told me. I'm sorry I wasn't here."

"They told me you were always here." I told him, squeezing his arm. "I could feel it too."

"Oh Livvie... I wasn't there when I should have been though. When it counted."

I turned to look up at him. "Don't say that. You found me, even though I hadn't told you where I was going. If you hadn't come when you did..." I started saying, but my voice broke, as my mind flashed back.

"I wanted to kill him. When I saw him on top of you." Neymar said, his face both angry and sad.

"Where is he?" I asked him. He looked at me for a second, looking crushed.

"He's out. They posted bail." He said, but he must have realized how much that freaked me out because he quickly added: "He can't get anywhere near you. There is a restraining order. He'd go straight to jail then and would have to stay there until his hearing. Besides, I'm not letting him, or anyone, hurt you ever again."

"No one can protect someone from everything. No matter how much they want to. Not even you."

Neymar looked away from me, taking a deep breath to compose himself. "Livvie..." He started saying, looking uncomfortable. "When I found you, your shirt was torn. Did he try...?" He trailed off.

"Ney..."

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. It changes nothing for me, or how much I love you. I am just sorry that—"

"I don't know what would have happened if you didn't come when you did." I cut him. "He said he would— And he kissed me. But I can't know for sure, what he would have done."

Neymar nodded.

"He was jealous of you." I told him, remembering Ian's words. "He was so jealous of you, I don't know how we didn't see that sooner. He was angry I rejected him but chose you."

"Oh Livvie..." Neymar said, but I felt him shift. He looked towards the open door, his face suddenly filled with tension.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"I've tried to get them to give you some time but... We can't put it off any longer Livvie, I'm sorry." He said getting up. "The police want to talk to you."